• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2.5L axle questions

GinisKratos

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I did a search and even the google one and didnt find much, so here goes.

Found a few unmolested 2.6L XJs in the local yard, from what I know they come stock with 4.10 gears. Its looking like my front end is going out, I feel more and more vibrations from diffrent parts every time i drive it. So it might be cheaper to just replace it all at once rather then just part by part.

So I'm wondering about these 4.10 axles. It seems like the ideal ratio for 33s (or so im told, im running 31s right now with stock 3.55 gears but would like to see it up on 33s in the future) I'm looking for some feedback about doing a swap like this.

Anyways, it seems like swapping to a d30 and 35 with 4.10 already it in (assumming everything else in the axles are good) would be a better option then rebuilding my d30 and then regearing both my stock ones. My XJ has seen better days and its still very capable, but I'm almost thinking about starting over with a newer chassis. But I'd rather not.

Let me know what you guys that have experience with these axles think about it. Other things to take into account is that I dont have access to a shop and have little better then standard tools. I can bum and borrow whatever I need if i REALLY need it but I'm a shade tree machanic at best :) So i dont know if rebuilding an axle would be in my ability, but I think swapping one in might be. Again never done it before so I might be off in left field :)

Thanks!!

~Ed

Re: 2.6L axle questions

They're 2.5's Ed. ;)

4.10 will be a definite improvement, but I would skip out on the D35 axle. The least deseriable of the bunch. If its a DD, then it would be ok, but for wheeling, Id skip out on it or at the very least, carry lots of spares.

You could snag the set, slap them in and see what else comes along.

You could always grab the front 30 with gears (assuming you find the 4.10's) and then grab a 8.8 with discs (assuming again you find one with 4.10's) build the 8.8 and your golden.

-Alex

4.10's on 33's is gonna suck! I would go 4.56 for flat land driving and 4.88 for the mountains. I'm running 4.10's on 32's and it is "OK" but anything bigger is going to require a gear change. With that said I just bought a set of 35's so I'm gathering parts for a gear swap.

I'm with the rest of them on the D-35, carry spares and get good at changing axle shafts or swap it and be done with the weak axle.

not all 2.5L will be 4.10, I pulled a D30 from a 2.5 once with 3.73's, and my 2.5 MJ has 3.55's...

It was 2.6 in the title, I changed it for ya. :wave1:

:D Thanks man.

If not all come with the 4.10s how do you go about checking the ratios? And which explorers came with the 4.10 8.8s? At this point it looks like I should just repair and regear the front and find an 8.8. I was leaning away from doing that just beause of the lack of shop space/tools to set up an 8.8 in any kind of timely mannor. But it would be worth it.

Back