• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Beadlock Questions

Starboard M

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
GLO is offering a sale on their beadlocks which I almost cant pass up.

They offer an anti-coning ring for an additional $40.

My question is, for those of you with DIY steel beadlocks, do you think the anti coning rings are really needed? Or is there not enough pressure to bend 1/4'' steel.

GLO is offering a sale on their beadlocks which I almost cant pass up.

They offer an anti-coning ring for an additional $40.

My question is, for those of you with DIY steel beadlocks, do you think the anti coning rings are really needed? Or is there not enough pressure to bend 1/4'' steel.

Is that the ring they weld to one side of the outer ring to keep it from bending in? I think I remember something about this a little while ago. It might have even been over on pirate.

It might be worth it just to have it, but it all depends how much of a deal you got on just the DIY kit to begin with. Is it worth the extra $40 to you?

depends on how thick of a bead your tire has if it's something liike a swamper i would but so far i have had 3 different types of tires on my beadlocks and havn't seen the rings bend yet.

Is that the ring they weld to one side of the outer ring to keep it from bending in? I think I remember something about this a little while ago. It might have even been over on pirate.

It might be worth it just to have it, but it all depends how much of a deal you got on just the DIY kit to begin with. Is it worth the extra $40 to you?
Yes, it is to keep the outer ring from bending.

I have heard yes it is needed, and no it is not needed in the last couple of years I have been looking at beadlock wheels. I was hoping people who had experience with DIY rings had opinions about if it is needed or not.

The rings themselves are $205 shipped, $40 extra for the anti coning ring, and I think $40 more for the hardware.
http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=732643

depends on how thick of a bead your tire has if it's something liike a swamper i would but so far i have had 3 different types of tires on my beadlocks and havn't seen the rings bend yet.
I will be using 35'' MTRs, however I am not sure how thick the beads are in comparison to Interco tires.

Sounds like that is one happy camper with no anti coning rings. :clap:

Anyone else?

The rings themselves are $205 shipped, $40 extra for the anti coning ring, and I think $40 more for the hardware.
http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=732643
Thats not that good of a deal - Ruff Stuff's are 235 every day, and with the NAXJA 10%, thats $23 off, so $212, pay tax instead of shipping, con me into picking them up for you (he's in sac) and support a vendor that supports NAXJA...

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/15-beadlock-kit-p-12.html

that said - im not so into the home made beadlock thing...

the MRW's that I'll be giving hell next week are only like $189 / wheel, with hardware, welded, dont leak, and ready to run...
http://www.rockcrawler-mrt.com/beadlock wheel 15 inch.html

and they have a stamped outer ring that adds another dimention of section to the outer ring, (and eliminates the needs for anti-coning rings :D)

something else to look at... :cheers:

Allied beadlocks are on sale through high-impact right now....

http://www.high-impact.net/wheels/index.htm

15x8 32bolt for $164.

There are lots of reviews on the website about the wheels, from pirate & various offroad mags.

Ive been running them for about a year now with 35" creepies at 5psi and they have never let me down.

A good product for the price.

I will add, that being steel wheels they are heavy though.

I would just get some Champion beadlocks, but I am trying to do this on as much of a budget as I possibly can.

The GLO vs Ruffstuff is more of a look preference. The GLO rings are slightly wider which I would think would cut down on ring deflection. I do my best to support NAXJA supporters, but what can you do.

Both MRW and Allied have essentially the same wheel. Similar clamping styles, wheel style and price. Is one a lot better then the other? I like the relative cheapness of both of those wheels.

Comparison:
Allied...........4x164=$656

MRW............4x189=$756

Homemade....205(GLO rings)+57x4 (US Wheel)=$433

The homemade is not including paint, hardware or labor(free).

None of those prices include shipping, except for the GLO rings.

Just earlier today I was browsing Pirate classifieds and saw a set of 5x5.5 15x8 MRW beadlocks in AZ for $500, with 38.5 or so Swampers. You could probably tell the guy to just throw away the swampers and send you the wheels for $500 plus shipping. There are others, too.

I'd rather run used real beadlocks than homemade junk.

Back