• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Odd axle seal leak

IslanderOffRoad

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Did the non-disco conversion to my disco 30 back in sept to get 297x shafts. Also installed an aussie locker at that time. Did the dremel out the housing trick.

A week later, my rt tube seal was leaking and leaving a cd sized puddle on occasion... i pulled it apart, replaced the seal again, and I thought I was ok.

Tonight, I see the same puddle again. I'm assuming I screwed it up when doing the seal conversion. What are my options here? is there a slightly larger seal that might work? Can I band-aid it with tube seals? Should I just get a new non disco housing and get it over with?

no ideas?

the leak seems to be the worst after a very tight turn.. the kind that makes some locker noise.

Where did you put the seal? If you do the non disconnect mod with a full length passenger side shaft you have to add a seal to the passenger side of the differential housing.

Just like how the non disconnect axles have a seal on each side of the carrier bearings.

From the factory, the disconnect axles only have a seal on the driver's side of the carrier bearings, and then they have a larger diameter seal on each side of the disconnect housing because the 2 piece shaft is thicker than the 1 piece shaft.

Where did you put the seal? If you do the non disconnect mod with a full length passenger side shaft you have to add a seal to the passenger side of the differential housing.

Just like how the non disconnect axles have a seal on each side of the carrier bearings.

From the factory, the disconnect axles only have a seal on the driver's side of the carrier bearings, and then they have a larger diameter seal on each side of the disconnect housing because the 2 piece shaft is thicker than the 1 piece shaft.

yes, that's where the seal is, on the side of the carrier.

Are you over filling the diff?

Perhaps, as I tend to fill it to the fill plug, however if that were the reason I doubt I'd be getting such a large puddle at once, and I don't think it would be doing it as often.

Do your axle seals come with the spring that holdes the rubber tight to the shaft?

I replaced both seals as they were screwed from breaking shafts on mine, and did the carrier and pinion bearings at the same time. Also did some Alloy tube seals.

Hasn't leaked since but the wierd thing is that the other day I had it up on jackstands with the wheels off about to replace a hub and I noticed some gear lube seeping out of the driver's side of the tube. I hadn't even unbolted the hub yet. But it hasn't leaked since. I don't know why it leaks with new seals. Doesn't do it though, only on rare occasions. My only thought is that the shafts are slightly wore down around the sealing area (since they are all used) and perhaps not creating as tight as seal as possible?

mine pukes a bit, i ju8st top it up, I'll deal with it when I install front locker. If I remember there are like for different seals that are supposed to work. none fit well for me, I just measured and ordered to spec. but it failed.

Do your axle seals come with the spring that holdes the rubber tight to the shaft?

I replaced both seals as they were screwed from breaking shafts on mine, and did the carrier and pinion bearings at the same time. Also did some Alloy tube seals.

Hasn't leaked since but the wierd thing is that the other day I had it up on jackstands with the wheels off about to replace a hub and I noticed some gear lube seeping out of the driver's side of the tube. I hadn't even unbolted the hub yet. But it hasn't leaked since. I don't know why it leaks with new seals. Doesn't do it though, only on rare occasions. My only thought is that the shafts are slightly wore down around the sealing area (since they are all used) and perhaps not creating as tight as seal as possible?

Yes, it does have the spring on the seal.

You are using RTV around the axle seal right?

Yes, but the seal went in much easier than I expected it to, so I'm thinking i screwed up with the dremel and will always have this problem.

What did you have to dremel? The seal surface in the carrier? never heard of anybody having to do that when converting to a full length passenger shaft and adding the passeger side carrier seal.

What did you have to dremel? The seal surface in the carrier? never heard of anybody having to do that when converting to a full length passenger shaft and adding the passeger side carrier seal.

If you do a search here its well covered.

The conversion seals are a poor design that don't have the plastic ramp to guide the shaft in. Dremeling out the surface where the seal goes enables you to fit the same seal used on the drivers side.

I don't recall there being a plastic ramp for the seals I put in my regular non-disco D30. The old seals were the same. Never had a problem as I slide the seals in gently, with plenty of lube. (dirty!)

Rusty's sells a seal for this purpose for like $8. It's seats in the tube inside the carrier.

At this point, this is all irrelevant. I did the dremel method.

anyone else have any ideas? bent housing? too much grinding for the seal? bent shaft?

trying to decide if diving into this thing is worth it at this point.

Back