• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

signs of bad axle u-joint?

Ben824

NAXJA Forum User
Just curious of what the signs might be. I have a a mysterious virbation coming from the front end and and a click that sometimes comes from the front that I can hear when moving slow and turning.

a little bit of binding hop on very tight turns in 2WD is normal

Way to check them is just as you would expect--look for corrosion (indicates loss of grease), spin them in the air and listen for noises (either a whine or a rattle), move the wheel by hand, etc

Sounds like you need some u-joints. Take the front drive shaft off and go for a ride. See if the vibration disapears.

2000 sport 4.0 oem :patriot:

Sounds like you need some u-joints. Take the front drive shaft off and go for a ride. See if the vibration disapears.

2000 sport 4.0 oem :patriot:

Question on topic: I have a similar situation with my 88. I took my front DS out because of vibration, and it solved almost ALL the vibration, but I still have a slight vibe from the bad axle U-joint. I was under the assumption that the initial vibes were bad DS u-joints since removing it helped so much, and the remaining vibe is the axle u-joint. Is it possible that the DS u-joints are still good, and ALL the vibes were from the axle u-joint, just not as noticeable without the DS in?

When axle u-joints go bad, they exhibit different problems every time. The latest, on my '96, felt like unbalanced tires at Interstate speeds. This was happening for a few months before the classic binding while parking. Typically, as you are turning sharp to enter a parking spot, the steering wheel will rock gently back and forth. After I replaced them, it felt as though I had the front wheels balanced! It was never this smooth! Just goes to show you that just when you think you've got these things figured out, a new symptom will pop up and test your diagnostic skills.

I am not sure that I ever noticed a vibe from the bad u-joint in an axle.

When checking for the drive shaft joints I just crawl under and try to spin the shaft by hand and watch for movement between joint caps and the joint. If you can see the movement you have a bad joint. There will also be some sound that you can hear also.

If I am suspecting a bad joint I actually will put one hand and each side of the joint and twist. If it moves it is bad.

For the axle I do very similar. I raise one tire. and gently rock the raised tire and look for movement between the joint caps and the joint in the axle shaft.

Jeff

I already got the front driveshaft out since I was getting the "angry sparrows" noise from the worn out CV which I plan to replace when I get some free time. When I turn the The yoke on the axle back and forth I see a very small amount of movement in the joint.

I had the same thing about a month ago vibration on the highway at about 50 to 60 mph and noise that got louder as the joints got hotter. So I removed front DS and the vibe went away but the crunching noise remained. I had the DS rebuilt and changed axle joints and all was good. I do need to do the rear DS also, just need money and time.

2000 sport 4.0L oem

I am not sure that I ever noticed a vibe from the bad u-joint in an axle.

When checking for the drive shaft joints I just crawl under and try to spin the shaft by hand and watch for movement between joint caps and the joint. If you can see the movement you have a bad joint. There will also be some sound that you can hear also.

If I am suspecting a bad joint I actually will put one hand and each side of the joint and twist. If it moves it is bad.

For the axle I do very similar. I raise one tire. and gently rock the raised tire and look for movement between the joint caps and the joint in the axle shaft.

Jeff

Good, I can easily check the DS u-joints then, as it is sitting on the floor of the carport! THANKS!

The one that had movement in it was the driver side which a few years ago a shop replaced for me but used some crappy no name Japanese joints which they also put in the rear driveshaft which I had to replace over the summer and they were bad when I removed them. Some I am really thinking that that joint needs replacing now.

The one that had movement in it was the driver side which a few years ago a shop replaced for me but used some crappy no name Japanese joints which they also put in the rear driveshaft which I had to replace over the summer and they were bad when I removed them. Some I am really thinking that that joint needs replacing now.

spicer seems to have the best rep when it comes to stock replacement ujoints. next time, dont let them put in crappy ujoints. if thats all they have, bring them spicer ujoints that you bought or go somewhere else.

Question on topic: I have a similar situation with my 88. I took my front DS out because of vibration, and it solved almost ALL the vibration, but I still have a slight vibe from the bad axle U-joint. I was under the assumption that the initial vibes were bad DS u-joints since removing it helped so much, and the remaining vibe is the axle u-joint. Is it possible that the DS u-joints are still good, and ALL the vibes were from the axle u-joint, just not as noticeable without the DS in?

Shouldn't the front driveshaft remain stationary in a '88 with a disco axle in 2wd?

Last edited:
I've never heard that there is a disco axle in my 88. I do have the "full time" 4 high setting, but when in 2wd, the only disco I know of is in the T-case.

Back