• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

mpg

1997 160,000 miles/2"BB/TBS/air intake(k&n filter/flowmaster 40 series exhaust/245/75R16 GY MTR tires....and I get about 21 highway and 18-20 city. I keep a very close eye on it, and I am positive for those who dont believe me!

chelms27 said:
1997 160,000 miles/2"BB/TBS/air intake(k&n filter/flowmaster 40 series exhaust/245/75R16 GY MTR tires....and I get about 21 highway and 18-20 city. I keep a very close eye on it, and I am positive for those who dont believe me!

not trying to start a fight, but i would like to see that vehicle and mileage in person. i've never seen a cherokee that got 18-20mpg in the city.

i got a 95XJ with 174,000 miles, 3" lift, 31's, 3.55's, and used to get about 12-14city/15-16highway. then i put a "newer" engine in the cherokee and my mileage went up to 14-16city/18-20hwy.

mine gets 18 mpg....feel the xj with super...throw her on the trailor...and straight to the trails...2002 ford f-350 4in exhaust 4 in downpipe from turbo,kn cold air intake,bully dog 120hp on the dail...truck pulls strong and hard...and thats a true 18mpg with full gear running 75....||charles||
2ekug7r.jpg

I get 18.5 average city HWY.
2 Weeks ago I drove to Texas.
In Colorado I got 16 to 18 (lots of hills and wind killed my mileage 4,000' to 8,000' elivation)
In New Mexico I would get 18 to 20 (5,000' to 7,000' elivation calm wind and not a lot of hills)
In Texas I was getting 20 to 21. (1,500' to 3,000' average elivation and mainly flat)

Now I dont drive fast. I set the cruise at 60 and leave it there. If I was to drive 70 to 75 all of the time sure I would not get the numbers that I do, I'm never in a big hurry to get any where and it sure saves me some money.

I average 18-20 too. That is combined city and highway driving, mostly highway. This is not adjusted for larger tires. I have 98 100K 4.5' with 31's. The only engine mod, if you want to call it one is an AirHog air cleaner. This is not an intake and cone filter.

Last edited:
Yup.. Last week I put a set of street tires on my 99, auto, w/ 4.5" lift and got 19 mpg on my first tank.. That's even carrying around a set of rims and tires in back for about 100 miles.

I put my 31"s on yesterday and went wheeling today and got about 10 mpgs..

My brother has a "01 and gets around 20mpg all highway. He said that he cruises about 70mph.

Elias

chelms27 said:
still dont believe me scorpio vette?
Unless all those odometers/Speedometers are corrected for tires/gearing, I'll also throw some doubt out there. I just changed my speedo gear, after fitting 32's, and my mileage magically improved....hmmm. I go from 30's to 32's, change nothing but the speedo gear. Most of what is reported is less than scientific. I appreciate the input though. when mine, '01 auto, was stock, I think I saw 19-20 once or twice, cruisin' on the interstate. I think it was 14-16 in town. I'd love to see that again!:wave:

I think i'm down to 18mpg around town at the moment (3.5" lift w/ 31's). It rides and looks good..can't say that the decrease bothers me.

I've got a stock '95 4.0/AW4 on 235/70/15s and get 19.5-20.5. I put on about 700 miles per week, probably 50% highway at 65-75mph cruising speed. I did a roadtrip a few weeks ago with about 350mi straight highway (90% 70mph+) and got 23.5. No shizzy.

chelms27 said:
still dont believe me scorpio vette?

mmmmhhhh........well if everybody is getting such good mileage, then why are there so many threads about "how to improve mileage", "is my mileage normal", and just generally people saying how their mileage sucks all over this site.

not that i'm complaining about my mileage. my cherokee is the second best vehicle i've ever owned when it comes to mpg (yes, i'm actually happy when i get 15ish mpg). besides.......i'd rather have crappy mpg and like my ride, than have good mpg and a boring ride.

scorpio_vette said:
not trying to start a fight, but i would like to see that vehicle and mileage in person. i've never seen a cherokee that got 18-20mpg in the city.

my bros 97 XJ 5 spd gets exsactly that...my auto gets a little worse...iminagin that...

ChuckstrPT said:
Unless all those odometers/Speedometers are corrected for tires/gearing, I'll also throw some doubt out there. I just changed my speedo gear, after fitting 32's, and my mileage magically improved....hmmm. I go from 30's to 32's, change nothing but the speedo gear. Most of what is reported is less than scientific. I appreciate the input though. when mine, '01 auto, was stock, I think I saw 19-20 once or twice, cruisin' on the interstate. I think it was 14-16 in town. I'd love to see that again!:wave:

when my 01' auto was stock i got 25 highway...

Back