• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front-end grinding noise under breaking and coasting

SpenceXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '99 xj with around 5 inches of lift and 33's. Whenever im going around 35 and up and let of the gas or get on the brakes, there is a loud grinding noise that I can hear and feel. It sounds like its coming from the front and it comes in around 5-7 second bursts with stop in between.

Any help or suggestions are needed :confused:

front d/s lubbed up?

My front end did something very similar, it ended up being a broken cross shaft in the differential carrier. When I was coasting the pin would walk out and hit the pinion. I could feel it pretty good everytiime the pinion would take chuncks out of the shaft.

Im free after 5:30-6:00 cause I have work, but if that works give me a call if you still have my number or pm me on rn4x4

Bet you dont have a SYE huh....... Its your slip yolk getting close to the end of its travel.

X2, I was going to suggest this. I had this same thing happen to me when I had 4.5inches on my '99. I got an SYE and haven't heard it since.

Still haven't figured this out guys, I don't think its the slip yolk. I just checked that.

Its really weird when it happens but its ONLY when going faster than 30.

When stuff breaks, it grinds.

Oh, you mean brakes? Have you checked them?

If it happens when youre slowing down its a drive line vibe with no SYE. The pinion rotates down and increases the angle of the DS.

The thing is that this never happened until after a trail run. Brake wise what should I look for?

If it happens when youre slowing down its a drive line vibe with no SYE. The pinion rotates down and increases the angle of the DS.
X2,plus a possible pinion bearing going out.

The thing is that this never happened until after a trail run. Brake wise what should I look for?
Start with basics: look for anything loose, worn, feel for any type of wear on the rotors. Give them a good cleaning and then go for a spin. It may be as simple as you've got some gunk in there somewhere and it's just making noise.

If you want to check the driveline, take off your rear driveshaft (easy) and put it in 4HI, go for a short drive around the block and listen to see if the grinding is gone. You could do the same for your front shaft just to see if that could be doing it.

Have you checked the wheel bearings yet?

Since you have a late model and no SYE or t-case drop, it's very possible that it could be your driveline. The only thing that makes no sense is how you say it does it in "bursts". Just speaking from personal experience and also hearing it on a friends Jeep, ours just did one quick, loud humming vibration. After t-case drops (we're both on lower lifts than you) they stopped. Again, just what I've seen and doesn't discount your issue, but the fact that it seems to do it in rotations on yours is a bit puzzling.

Start with basics: look for anything loose, worn, feel for any type of wear on the rotors. Give them a good cleaning and then go for a spin. It may be as simple as you've got some gunk in there somewhere and it's just making noise.

If you want to check the driveline, take off your rear driveshaft (easy) and put it in 4HI, go for a short drive around the block and listen to see if the grinding is gone. You could do the same for your front shaft just to see if that could be doing it.

Have you checked the wheel bearings yet?

Since you have a late model and no SYE or t-case drop, it's very possible that it could be your driveline. The only thing that makes no sense is how you say it does it in "bursts". Just speaking from personal experience and also hearing it on a friends Jeep, ours just did one quick, loud humming vibration. After t-case drops (we're both on lower lifts than you) they stopped. Again, just what I've seen and doesn't discount your issue, but the fact that it seems to do it in rotations on yours is a bit puzzling.

Thanks for the info, some really good stuff and really helpful.

It is weird how it bursts, its goes then just sharply stops then starts again. its really really weird.

Back