• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1994 4.0 XJ into 1997 ZJ?

Turtle

NAXJA Forum User
I did some searching and have not found much.

I have a 1994 XJ 5 speed that is rusted bad from Minnesota, I found a 1997 ZJ automatic with the same 4.0 motor. I understand about the OBD1 to OBD2 difference. Is this swap a good one? in the event some of the OBD2 sensors are different will they all swap over to the earlier block/head/intake? If not is the head, and intake the same bolt pattern and port match? Also is the balancer different from the auto to the manual?

The guy who has the Jeep said it needs to be a VIN "S" engine and mine is a Vin "S" are there any other differences is as far as tuning with the 1997 computer running the 1994 engine?

One more thing If I wanted to put the manual trans/transfer case from my 1994 XJ into a ZJ, are all the mounts in the same place as the XJ?

I know a lot of questions, and I appreciate any input. If I could find a clean non running XJ I would just swap everything to it, but here in MN they are all rusted bad. The ZJ's seem to blow there engines before the rust hits bad around here, maybe there is just more of them, or they are not smart enought to check their oil....

Back