• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DYNAMITE

fed_up_mp

NAXJA Forum User
DOES ANY ONE HAVE DYNAMITE THAT I CAN STICK IN THE GAS TANK TO GET RID OF MY XJ.

OR JUST ANY ADVISE ON THE BEST WAY TO GET TO THE ALTERNATOR (FROM TOP OR BOTTOM) AND IS THERE ANYTHING SPECIAL I NEED TO WORRY ABOUT. HAVE CHANGED THEM IN THE PAST BUT LARGER TRUCKS WITH A LOT MORE ROOM.

Dude - stop yellin! Take it easy, or just switch to decaf...

The altnerator (at least on my RENIX, I think other years are similar...) is fairly easy to get to - just getting it out past the antiroll bar takes a little finagling. Still, you should be able to get the job done in an hour or so, with a little patience...

And, if you want specific advice, it really helps to give with the basics - year and engine come to mind (since you're having trouble getting to the thing, that leads me to assume that you've got an I6 - but "What happens when you assume?")

5-90

Sorry for the caps just mad

94 se
stock suspension
It looks that if i go from the top i have to remove the ac compressor. If i go from the bottom it looks like i have to remove som suspension componets.

it gave me a trounble code of 12 and 41 if that helps but i heard the bearings in the alternator rattling so im sure that is it.

No problem. When you're upset, take a few moments before you hit the "commit" button - not only will that give you a chance to tone things down a little, but you can also re-read your post to see about anything you might need to add/change/delete. We've all been there...

I'll have to defer to someone with a later model on this one - all of my rigs are RENIX, and use the Delco alternator. The ND case is slightly larger, I think, and there might be some different tricks involved. However, the simple statement is to unbolt the alternator, and then wiggle and turn it about until it fits down past the antiroll bar (which, I believe, is still in your way there.) It will take some doing, but it's possible.

If that doesn't work, you can probably just unbolt the antiroll bar frame clamps, which should allow it to roll/turn out of your way, and then get it out that way. However, I've always been able to pull my Delcos out without removing anything else.

5-90

it's a little bit more work, but if you remove the 4 bolts from the A/C compressor, and just set the whole thing aside (DO NOT DISCONNECT THE A/C LINES), it'll be a touch bit easier to get to.

sometimes you have to choose between less work and more headache, or more work and less headache.

If you decide to go out the top, remove the battery and then unbolt the AC compressor and set it over into the battery tray.

Either way will work and its not that bad of a job, it just looks intimidating.

I dropped mine when I got it unbolted and it fell out...lol I should have played the lottery that day. Figured it would go back in easy..not so..it took me about 30 min. to wiggle that puppy back in there, didn't have to unbolt anything,just wiggle-wiggle. That was really frustrating considering how easy it came out. I've never been able to figure out how it came out so easy.

dizzymac said:
I dropped mine when I got it unbolted and it fell out...lol I should have played the lottery that day. Figured it would go back in easy..not so..it took me about 30 min. to wiggle that puppy back in there, didn't have to unbolt anything,just wiggle-wiggle. That was really frustrating considering how easy it came out. I've never been able to figure out how it came out so easy.

Simple, it's a female, it's just teasing you... :D :D

yeah ceee...tease ceee....||charles||
2mobbr9.gif

Than for all the advise I think I am going to drop it out the bottom I can deal with the anti roll bars. you guys are a plethera of knowledge. thanks again.

Back