• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.56 gears with 30"s?

nates94xj

NAXJA Forum User
Bad idea? Would it kill the mpg and make driving it a drag? Found a deal on axles and I have newish 30" BFG AT that I love. I often drive my rig with a lot of weight.

I wouldnt do it. Your RPMs will be very high at highway speeds.

Why not just sell the 30s and move to a bigger tire?

4.56 and 32's works out really well, but with 30's you'll be spinning a little on the fast side.

Hmm. Just ran the calculator. 3,000 RPM would be 78 mph. Thats not as bad as I thought.

A little high, but doable.

Its not as bad as you might think. I run that on the highway each day on my way to work. Average between 17-19 mpg. It does feel a bit gear bound though. Aftermarket air cleaner would probably help the engine rev a bit better. I run about 2500 @60-65. It never needs to downshift out of overdrive.

Hmmm, when not offroad I tend to either drive around town, where the mileage might actually improve, or trundle down the highway doing 60 with rooftent and and all my camping gear, so maybe it would work.

I run 4.56 with worn 31's that are worn much closer to 29.5" right now. 70MPH is right around 2800 RPM. A little high for my taste, but the mileage is still reasonable - about 18 MPH on the freeway, 14 street. The torque is sweet.

I just put 4.88 in for my 31's... I do have plans for bigger tires but It should be workable while I make plans to move from 31's to about 33s or 34s.

It is a jeep. It sees about 1,000 miles per year and I typically only drive about 65 on the freeway anyway.

They are still not under the jeep but I really think that 31's + AW4 + 3.55 really bites the big one.

The very low ratio of the stock XJ may have as much to do with making good smog numbers. As good MPG. As well as less noise, engine wear. Also most engines made in the US of A are balanced anywhere from 800 to 1500 RPM so vibes can come into play as well. The factory boys have a lot more to think about when picking a final drive then just torque and MPG.

Back