• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

best way to install coil spacers

stevelknieveleer

NAXJA Forum User
i have some spacers to install and when i did my coils they sucked. the instrusctions say that if you remove the tie rods and track bar (shocks duh and my swaybar is gone) that it should droop low enough to install them without having to compress them. will this work is should i unbolt the axle from the LCAs?

remove what you have to until you can get them out. it helps to jack up the opposite side of the axle when doing this.

at that point it's just 2 bolts to do the LCA's. Undo steering, track bar, and shocks. if you still need more room you know which 2 bolts to undo.

I read ratchet ties work well as spring compressors. never tried it though.

Sounds scary to me. Go to autozone or the equal and rent some "strut compressors". I got them for a $40 deposit, bring it back and get your $40 back.

I did a set on my cousins jeep a couple weeks ago, we didn't unbolt anything, just used compressors and jacked up the opposite side.

Sounds scary to me. Go to autozone or the equal and rent some "strut compressors". I got them for a $40 deposit, bring it back and get your $40 back.

I did a set on my cousins jeep a couple weeks ago, we didn't unbolt anything, just used compressors and jacked up the opposite side.

a dangerous way to do it.

oh yea sorry, i meant to mention that is not recommended. We were trying to do it as fast as possible, we were losing light, whiskey was involved.

again NOT recommended, but strut compessors definetely make the process easier.

oh yea sorry, i meant to mention that is not recommended. We were trying to do it as fast as possible, we were losing light, whiskey was involved.

again NOT recommended, but strut compessors definetely make the process easier.

whiskey and strut compressors :(

ok well i did this last weekend and it was the biggest PITA and i used the Ratchet strap method dont think i've ever been so scared but it worked better than the spring compressors. things are almost worthless at least to me. and i had to unbolt my Lower control arms and track bar to do it. and also take off the brake calipers because mybrake lines are only relocated lower not extended

well i just finished it up i did have to pull my LCA bolts but i do have lift coils already in and didnt feel like compressing them. i now have the issue of the trackbar being a little too short to go into the mounting bracket. are there any quick cheap remedies to this problem?

I think that people have re-drilled the stock hole, but the better solution would probably to be get another tracbar maybe even an adjustable one.

To get the track bar back in you need to get everything reattached and the truck back on its wheels. Have 2 people or 1 big person push on the drivers side fender until you get it to line up and then pop the bolt in. Works like a champ. Should only take a minute or two.

To get the track bar back in you need to get everything reattached and the truck back on its wheels. Have 2 people or 1 big person push on the drivers side fender until you get it to line up and then pop the bolt in. Works like a champ. Should only take a minute or two.
Uhhh, have one of those two get behind the steering wheel and turn it. The axle will stay put, the body will move, then you can fish your bolt.

If you do this right, you can con the other helper into getting under the heep with the bolt while you give directions to the one behind the wheel. :firedevil

He's needs to do something if he's adding an 1-3/4" to an already 2" with all stock parts!

That might be worth a try. I think in the end if you can just use spring compressors that would be easiest. That way you only have to disconnect the least amount and your spring fits in.

Hallo. I have stacked 3 coilisolators for a lift.
I used a spring compressor. Unbolt the lower shockmount and the tracbarconnector. Don't forget the little spring holder.
Don't drink whiskey and do the job. Use the weight of the Jeep to precompress the coil.
Watch out it is very scary taking out a spring compressed.!:shocked:

Last edited:
Back