• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D35 Axle Seals

RRT

NAXJA Forum User
Replacing axles & seals on a D35 (I know "WHY?")...Anyway as I am assembling the axles & preparing to install them, I noticed something odd.

There is a seal in the axle tube to keep fluid within the housing & a seal on the axle shaft to keep oil from leaking onto the brakes. My question is, what keeps the axle shaft bearings lubricated?

Stupid question but I have no answers. I called a couple of parts stores thinking that maybe it should be a sealed bearing but everyone I talked to said "No". They have some grease in them from the store but not enough to last, in my opinion.

Hopefully some one has been in this position & has the answers...Thanks for any / all advise.
Rick

Yep.

However, last time I did bearings & seals, I didn't see the "inner" seals that some do - which leads me to believe they're not wholly necessary. I didn't put them in when I put it all back together - but I did be sure to pack the bearings well. Perhaps the gear oil can act as a supplemental lubricant?

Whether you have inner seals or not, be sure to pack the bearings well. Either use a commercial "bearing packer" tool (it forces grease through the bearing, leaving no voids) or use the "dredge method" (one palmful of grease, bearing in the other, and dredge it sidewise through the grease thoroughly both ways. Then, refill your grease paw, and roll the bearing through the grease, holding the inner race. You shouldn't be able to see much - if any - of the rollers when you're done, and putting the bearing in the outer race should result in grease squeezing out. Leave it there - the extra doesn't hurt!)

Thanks for all the info. Just seems like there is not enough room for grease for extended use which would require more maintenance in the long run. Most vehicles I have worked on in the past have been lubricated by the differential fluid. The bearings I purchased have absolutely no grease in them BUT I have tools / ways of packing them.

Thanks again for your advise.
Rick

Last edited:
Back