• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Having a Overheating issue

NorcalXJnewbie

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1992 Xj with HO motor.

My electric is not kicking and the temp was super high. I checked the tstat its good, I noticed that the Radiator Cap needed to be bled off i guess, once i did this alot of pressure was coming out, but the temp was pretty high. I checked the relay in the engine bay and it was appearing to work, i just removed the cap on the relay and jumped it over... Then agian i guess my jumping is could mean it doesnt work?

So i dont know how to trouble shoot the system. Could it be Water pump, a bad radiator cap???

Its not the CLutch fan or the Tstat, my hoses are clear and breathe, i did add coolant to the system and i could drive around and home from where i was stranded, she didnt go over 190.

I am thinking i should just put the dual tauras 4000cfm fans in and call it good, but what if i have a bad part in the sytem? anyone have pictures of this install?

Also pictures or identification of where my fan relays and sensors are would be super helpful. thanks

Here's a good thread on the subject:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24997

how do you know it's not the clutch fan?
What does "clear and breathe" mean about the hoses? Are they old? Do you know when they were replaced last?
The other thread talks about replacing the clutch, water pump and radiator as well as inspecting the fins on the radiator & any other thing (A/C condensor) in front of it - nothing like a load of rocks & smashed fins to block air flow.

How's the engine side of the radiator? My son drove another vehicle in the mud (not an XJ) and covered the engine side of the radiator with mud. Took a while to notice that.

When you say you jumped the electric fan does that mean it came on?

Hallo Jeeper. What about hoodvents? But you have to solve first the overheating problem. The sensors can generate the heat.
When the CTS or the MAT and the O2 sensors are not working well, then the engine runs too rich.That will also generate heat. The CTS is on the thermostathouse and keeps also control over the Electric Auxfan. Running rich is also bad for the cat.
I renewed these sensors on my '92 and it worked well.:laugh:

p.s. Is the overflowbottle working well?

Last edited:
Ok so far i changed the Tstat with a drilled hole in it styled one....

Flushed and refilled with distilled water and coolant. I jumpered the fan so its not the fan motor, The relays appear to work, and now i am running at good temps... we will wait and see.

Thanks all for the links and input so far

Question is there a difference with my 1992 ho and an older XJ? I am curious if i am closed loop or open cooling system.

Also is there a way to add a switch to control my electrical fan?

Back