• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flat Black Hood

stephenspann27

NAXJA Forum User
(Administrator please move this to Paint and Body section, I don't have "permission" to create a new thread there)

I was thinking of painting the hood on my white jeep flat black. The hood has some hail damage.. and I don't want to spend the time getting the hood perfect.. flat black hides a lot.. and was thinking it might look cool.

Does anyone have any pics of what this would look like?(flat black hood)

I also cannot decide if I should color match the fender flares, headlight buckets, and part of the grille.. like this pre '97 jeep:

cherokee-005-full.jpg

After off roading scratches always show up on my black plastic fender flares, so I'm afraid if I paint them.. it will just get scratched off.

You don't have permission to post there because you're not a Member or Supporter.

What would it look like? Like a flat black hood. :shrug:

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Search- a couple of guys have painted the raised areas on the hood, and a couple others have used vinyl overlays. If you just want to paint the whole thing flat black, go for it.

That has always been a favorite mod of mine. In the 70s Camaros had semi gloss on there hoods. My Scout has had it on the hood for 30 yrs+. Also cuts down on gloss. And it will go faster too.

That has always been a favorite mod of mine. In the 70s Camaros had semi gloss on there hoods. My Scout has had it on the hood for 30 yrs+. Also cuts down on gloss. And it will go faster too.
2qbch2o.jpg

heres mine with spray on bedliner on it its a custom hoon i made but still flat black
2h6vl0x.jpg

If it has hail damage just go ahead and paint it flat black. If you don't like the look you can replace the hood with a non-hail damaged one.

its hot enough under that hood in summer that making a solar heat magnet might not be a great idea an youll never be able to do your ol lady on the hood during daylight

One problem with true flat black is it often stains. Red clay and hard water stains are hard, if not impossible to remove. A satin or semi gloss usually works out better. I've had good results with Rustolium outdoor grill paint. It's better to apply it with a feather coat first and then a few thin coats, it does tend to fish eye. But the finished product is flat enough to hide flaws and doesn't stain. A coat of primer first would likely reduce the posiblity of fish eyes, but the grill paint really doesn't need a primer in my experience (it sticks really well).

Back