• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I have some questions about a different take on a rear tire carrier.

bubba

NAXJA Forum User
Do you guys think it would be possible to build something like this for a Cherokee?

IMG00198.jpg

I know the "arms" of the carrier would need to go around to the sides of the Jeep but I think the could be reinforced on the inside and have a little ramp on the mount to allow trees to slide smoothly over the side. I just don't like how far most swing out carriers stick and I like the idea of being able to make this removable when not on the trail to cut down on weight.

I am thinking 2 arms on each side. That would spread the weight out a little more and also work to protect the tail lights.

I know the "arms" of the carrier would need to go around to the sides of the Jeep but I think the could be reinforced on the inside and have a little ramp on the mount to allow trees to slide smoothly over the side. I just don't like how far most swing out carriers stick and I like the idea of being able to make this removable when not on the trail to cut down on weight.

I am thinking 2 arms on each side. That would spread the weight out a little more and also work to protect the tail lights.
It's been done exactly as you've described, just with one arm per side reaching around the sides of the Jeep. Search around for it and you'll find some pics.

X2 it has been done...

But i just dont see the real benefit (besides the stinger). It blocks more of your re window then a standard carrier, its harder to get into your hatch (you have to dead lift the damn thing to get it back up), and you have have a pretty large area to drop the carrier down when you want to pull the tire off...

just my .02

Looks cool but would be a pain in the butt to trip over when it is folded down and you are trying to access things in the back.

yeah way too bulky, and completely covers the rear window.

Truthfully im not even sure those mounting points on the body would be sufficient enough in an ass over end flop.

Most of the swing out tire carriers out there cover most of the rear window. I lost my rear view mirror years ago so I never look out the back anyway. I also spent 5 years as an EMT/Fireman so I have learned to use my side mirrors to back up. That hasn't stopped me from breaking 2 sets of taillights but hey that doesn't count.

This is what it would kind of look like on an XJ but I would want the tire on the inside of the tubing close to the hatch.

100_2858.jpg

Bubba - didn't chuck on mn-jeep.com bend one up like that for his wrangeler? It swung down and could be removed if you wanted.

Truthfully im not even sure those mounting points on the body would be sufficient enough in an ass over end flop.
It has plated 1/4 panels,so Id think its plenty strong!
100_2853.jpg

Bubba - didn't chuck on mn-jeep.com bend one up like that for his wrangeler? It swung down and could be removed if you wanted.

Yeah it was looking at his and another guy from up north that built one for his Wrangler that gave me the idea. I am thinking of starting from a Basic JCR Offroad bumper.

You could put a small handcrank winch on it.But I still dont like having to step all on-it/over-it to get to stuff in the back.Its bad enough just trying to stand sometimes(off-camber,uphill,etc).

You could put a small handcrank winch on it.But I still dont like having to step all on-it/over-it to get to stuff in the back.Its bad enough just trying to stand sometimes(off-camber,uphill,etc).
^ This.

It's nice to have something different every once in a while so people ooh and ahh, but there's a reason these aren't seen much.

Here's an idea- lose the rear seat, fab up a small crossmember near your rear wheel wells to hold the tire and a jack, then use the new space from tossing the rear bench for space.

^ This.

It's nice to have something different every once in a while so people ooh and ahh, but there's a reason these aren't seen much.

Here's an idea- lose the rear seat, fab up a small crossmember near your rear wheel wells to hold the tire and a jack, then use the new space from tossing the rear bench for space.

Can't lose the rear seat because that is where my son sits while we are out wheeling. Don't want it on the roof. I don't see that it will be that much worse then trying to get in the back with the camper hooked up. And I can always grab stuff from the inside as well.

Back