• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

First Things First

MikeS63301

NAXJA Forum User
Stock '98 XJ 4.0 w/140K on the odometer. Trail riding, no serious rock crawling, hills and ditches.

What mods do you find most important to add first... what comes later?

Thanks in advance. Also, thanks for the info so far. I've got it running perfect and everything works. :peace:

1. Recovery points and safety items (fire ext, first aid kit, flashlight, etc)
2. Armor (even diff covers and a beefy tie-rod for trail riding...you WILL hit them)
3. Tires (base your decision on terrain and DD versus wheeling ratio)

Anything else is up to you. Do you want to lift it? Do you want to spend money on bigger tires, gears, lockers, etc?

Don't worry, the bug will bite you too sooner or later :D

Most important thing is front and rear recovery points so that when you high center the jeep coming out of a ditch you can be pulled out without breaking anything. Second thing is a replacement crossmember and a transfer case skid--the stock xmember and transfer case both hang low across the bottom and grab everything under the jeep, is paper thin, and if you tear either one the whole drivetrain can fall off.

After that do whatever gets you down the trails you ride better

1. Recovery points and safety items (fire ext, first aid kit, flashlight, etc)
2. Armor (even diff covers and a beefy tie-rod for trail riding...you WILL hit them)
3. Tires (base your decision on terrain and DD versus wheeling ratio)

Anything else is up to you. Do you want to lift it? Do you want to spend money on bigger tires, gears, lockers, etc?

Don't worry, the bug will bite you too sooner or later :D

Yeah, I'll probably put a lift on it, but not till spring. (At least gotta get Christmas out of the way)

Tires... I'd say 33's tops. Lockers would be nice. Don't want to get into changing gears.

Most important thing is front and rear recovery points so that when you high center the jeep coming out of a ditch you can be pulled out without breaking anything. Second thing is a replacement crossmember and a transfer case skid--the stock xmember and transfer case both hang low across the bottom and grab everything under the jeep, is paper thin, and if you tear either one the whole drivetrain can fall off.

After that do whatever gets you down the trails you ride better

Got any recs for xmember and tc skid?

There are lots to choose from. Choice depends on budget and where you want to go with your setup. I bought the T&T HD Crossmember and a stock Mopar transfer case skid, but plan to replace both with a T&T bellypan in a few months.

Back