• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Planning a Proper Excursion???

Mosephus

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm planning my first excursion, it looks to be a short one but that is fine, but I have some questions and concerns....

My wife and I want to follow the Texas Leg of the Butterfield Stagecoach Trail ( Map: http://www.wayfaring.com/maps/show/29174 ). We'll start in Jacksboro, stop near Gainsville for the evening, and head home somewhere around Sherman the next day near the last arrow maybe farther the next day.

Map.jpg

My concern is that I know nothing about this trail, I don't know if this fella's map is correct and I don't really know how to prepair for the short trip as far as research goes. I'm not finding much about this portion of the trail on google, but I really don't know where to look.

Also I have a GPS unit, nothing special (a tomtom one). How would I go about finding a map of the trail to upload to it?

Thanks for the help,
Nathan

Most GPSs don't let you upload custom maps. Some GPSs like Garmin and Magellin handhelds have optional PC software that can upload map segments to your GPS, their maps may or may not have the trail on it. National Geographic also sells some topographic mapping software that I think is compatible with some GPSs. Anyway you are better off using some sort of GIS software on a laptop.

http://www.natgeomaps.com/topo might have something for you.

I use Delorme Street Atlas, it has a suprising number of trails on it. Not really too suprising though considering a lot of Jeep trails are really just old roads. The problem is a lot of them were never surveyed accurately. Hell even main roads in the sticks are often poorly surveyed. So you can drive right past the trail head and not see it. One of the nice things about St. Atlas is you can add new roads (but not change existing roads) and it will consider those when routing you. Big PITA to draw a whole long stage trail on there though.

XASTIR is a very powerful program although it's tough to get custom maps into it.

Have you tried using google earth? I know the satellite may give you extra resolution, or you may be able to actually spot the trail in places.

also, there is a HUGE community for it that uploads extra info. May find a 4x4 layer or group.

You were right that Google doesnt bring much in the way of info for this trail, other than historic.

Call the local DNR station and ask a ranger for info?

Back