• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

easy...

swamp donkey

NAXJA Forum User
question. new to XJ's, just got one. this will be a fishing rig left at a house in florida for dirt road / two track riding. NO CRAWLING!. just the potential for lots of mud. i don't need flex. i want to run 31" swampers....whats the cheapest / best way to do this? needs to stay highway drivable.

the other mods planned are an aussey and maybe a winch sling for a reciever. i've got the winch laying around. and an aussey for the D30. probably a home fabbed roof rack. so these are no cost. what size 31's (9.5, 10.5 or 11.5") don't rub turning and such with stock wheels?

i did search, but seems like a lot of clutter there....1000 different scenerios.

thanks for the advice.

swamp

oh, and i do crawl....just not in an XJ!
003-4.jpg

Welcome to the site!

I would say either do a budget 2" boost or just keep the stock suspension and do some trimming of the fenders if your just going to run 31s. Im not sure which size tires wouldn't rub control arms with stock rims cuz I have aftermarkets on mine.

I have no lift and run 31 10.50's mud terrain. I trimmed my fenders and rub a little every once in a while but not bad at all.

I like the combo, but will probably go 3.5 inch lift and 33's soon

http://www.flickr.com/photos/caillteanamcara/3023604565/

sorry for the link pic wouldnt post

Get a 2" coil spacer up front and a 2" shackle in back, prob. cost about $100. Can keep you stock shocks even if you want to. Then get some wheels with better backspacing than stock and you're good to go!

With 31x10.5 on the stock rims I rubbed on the control arms at full lock. I've heard WJ arms are the same length, maybe a little longer, and are bent to clear the tires. Maybe give that a try?

Junkyard coils & build a bastard pack or an aal & shim the steering stops. You can't beat that for cheap! It looks like you might have some YJ donor springs laying around for a bp.

I did the BP idea on my 87 wagoneer and got 3" of lift in the back. I have about 7 leaves in a pack. It rides a little stiffer then stock but no rubbing and good flex. The front we used a set of stock up country spings and a spacer.
Also used longer bolts as a steering stop to keep from rubbing the control arms. Works well and cost was about $60 and some sweat. All with Stock rims and 31s.

well, here's the post i put on my home forum....
1992 jeep XJ Sport, bone stock daily driver, 4.0L six, AW-4 auto, NP231, d30 front, chry 8.5 rear. new stuff (last three weeks):

street tires
shocks for rear hatch
alternator
water temp sensor
class three hitch
complete service including engine cleaning with seafoam and oilchange, cooling system cleaning and longlife AF, all filters replaced with wix, tranny service with mopar fluids, T-case service with mopar fluids, replaced brake fluid with synthetic castrol fluid, front and rear axles cleaned and replaced with amsoil synthetic. interior detailed. drivetrain scrubbed front to rear, top to bottom. filled up with mid-grade BP gas.

unfortunately, the cooling system cleaning has caused one of the freeze plugs to leak. this i will have to fix. this is also why i was able to buy this jeep. my anal retentive buddy jack bought this three weeks ago. when the freeze plug started leaking, it pissed him off. time for it to go. so it did. to me.

a few pics...
007-4.jpg

013-1.jpg

010-2.jpg

005-4.jpg

004-5.jpg

002-7.jpg

so, i went and bought a set of 31x10.5x15 BFG MT-R's today to go on it. i don't intend to lift it, just do a little trimming. i MAY put an aussey in the back axle, and i MAY figure out a way to mount the winch i have laying on the floor. but, thats it. no BUILD. just get in and go.

I love stealing sheit....

pete

i bought a set of three week old 31 x 10.50' BFG MT-r's this afternoon. mounted and balanced for $300 bucks. got the XJ for $1000. so i feel like i stole it...

you don't understand.....when i called my buddy anal, it was'ent a figure of speach! when i said the drivetrain had been scrubbed up and down, front to back....i mean't it!

he washes the underside of all of his vehicles every sunday afternoon. i don't give a dam'n if it's 10 degrees outside! i said anal, i meant ANAL!

he got this from the orig owner....a women from MD who is a doctorial student at FSU.....never been in 4WD before....

Back