• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driving lights stay on!

Jays siik xj

NAXJA Forum User
And keeps killing my freaking battery!

Gotta 89 laredo... Cant figure out why my driving lights stay on. Checked the switch, changed it and it still does it. =/

Brake lights dont work either. (just found that out lastnight) havent checked it out yet.

And keeps killing my freaking battery!

Gotta 89 laredo... Cant figure out why my driving lights stay on. Checked the switch, changed it and it still does it. =/

Brake lights dont work either. (just found that out lastnight) havent checked it out yet.

Before you go chasing wires and relays couple notes.

On the older XJ's if you do not turn off your headlights before shutting off the motor and turning off the ignition they will stay on until you re-insert the key and turn on the ignition. I have a '90 and it does this, quite annoying if you forget to turn off your lights before shutting down and pulling the key. Make sure that is not what you are doing.

Did you check the bulbs in the tailight housings?

Do that first before you think it is a wiring issue.

Before you go chasing wires and relays couple notes.

On the older XJ's if you do not turn off your headlights before shutting off the motor and turning off the ignition they will stay on until you re-insert the key and turn on the ignition. I have a '90 and it does this, quite annoying if you forget to turn off your lights before shutting down and pulling the key. Make sure that is not what you are doing.

Did you check the bulbs in the tailight housings?

Do that first before you think it is a wiring issue.

I just replaced all my bulbs about 4 days ago (before I started driving my Heep again)

At first the headlights and driving lights would stay on all the time... I didnt change anything or do anything and its just the driving lights that stay on always. As soon as I connected my battery for the first time they were on.

Well if you don't turn off the lights before pulling the key out an they NEVER go off (even 30 seconds later) that means the headlight delay box is dead. It's not a feature to keep the lights on forever if turned off after pulling the key.

check the fuse box...my brake, t-signal and heater fuse sockets rotted to the point that the box started melting. turns out that the clutch master was leaking down the fire wall into the box. if you don't have the firewall mouned fuse box under the drivers side of the dash, then this obviously doesn't apply and I just wasted a whole bunch of time...lol hth

Hello mine is a92 and has the sentnal lighting they do stay on for about 30 sec after you turn off the key with lights on and turn off your headlight switch if they stay on longer the relay for them is bad.

Well if you don't turn off the lights before pulling the key out an they NEVER go off (even 30 seconds later) that means the headlight delay box is dead. It's not a feature to keep the lights on forever if turned off after pulling the key.

....more like 30 minutes :)

Least what it feels like, I hate that feature............

Just remove your headlights you don't need no stinking headlights!

Probably the box, I don't think that is a parts store item either. You have to order it?

I had a problem with the trailer hitch light. When ever it would rain or road water it would short out my turn signals and tailights. I eventually just clipped it and taped it up my prob went away. (Never tow anywho) Must have been getting moisture in the seal box and would cross/short out the wiring.

Back