• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Manual switch for reverse lights

What year?

I ask what year because it matters. If you have a power/comfort button is that working? If your rig is starting in P or N then it may not be your NSS at all.

On my '90 I was having problems with the thing starting (I got nothing) in P or N, also my reverse lights were not working, so I figured NSS. So I fixed the NSS (replaced it) and it started fine but the reverse lights still did not work. My Power/Comfort switch did not work either.

I looked at the fuses in the fuses block under the dash. There is a 7.5A fuse marked TRANS. It was blown. I replaced the fuse, whaddya know, it worked. Reverse lights worked, Power/Comfort switch worked. Problem solved.

If your rig is a similar YEAR, that may be your problem.

It's an 89. My power comfort switch works fine. When I got the XJ it didn't and I had to replace that fuse. When I cleaned the NSS the reverse light contact looked pretty worn and the reverse light works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. Just not dependable. I guess I could pick up another NSS at the local pull yard. They have a pretty good selection of XJs.

Thanks

Here in canada to run a manual reverse light switch it has to have an indicator light with the switch, so you can see if they are on or not.

Why not fix the problem,Why not answer his question?

It's an 89. My power comfort switch works fine. When I got the XJ it didn't and I had to replace that fuse. When I cleaned the NSS the reverse light contact looked pretty worn and the reverse light works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. Just not dependable. I guess I could pick up another NSS at the local pull yard. They have a pretty good selection of XJs.

Thanks

did you adjust/rotate the nss until the reverse lights go on when you reinstalled it? IIRC, you rotate until the reverse lights go on than tighten down

Well I called a NC inspection station and they said they don't even check the reverse lights so as long as they're not on when your in a forward gear you're good.

Back