• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

factory roof rack question on a 2001

generalleexj

NAXJA Forum User
ok well my factory roof rack on my 2001 cherokee limited was fading, so i bought some krylon bumper paint and planned on taking the rack off and painting it.
there are 5 TORX bolts that hold the rack down on each side. every bolt came out easy except the back one on the driver side because the previous owner stripped it out completely.. so the last resort was i took the hack saw and cut it off from under (between the rack and the roof) the rack. i cut the bolt, but now the nut that the bolt screws into can wiggle around in the hole. when i looked in the hole, theres just the other end of the cut bolt, and under that it looks to me like another layer of sheet metal. but my concern is that it might leak ? do the 2001's have double sheeted roofs? before i put the rack back on i put some gasket sealer on the hole, but im still paranoid that one day ill find that its been leaking above the headliner. i hope sombody knows what im talkin about... thankyou.

Do it right and get that bolt out. Shouldn't be too hard now that all the tension is off. Like already mentioned, a left handed drill bit or if there is enough, a vice grips. A 2001 is too new to be half assing, IMHO.

JeffsJeep04 said:
Do it right and get that bolt out. Shouldn't be too hard now that all the tension is off. Like already mentioned, a left handed drill bit or if there is enough, a vice grips. A 2001 is too new to be half assing, IMHO.
x2

Back