• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ok guys i've narrowed the problem to the Transfer Case Chain

go1lum

NAXJA Forum User
I checked my fluid today and there was pretty much nothing. It sounds like the chain is jumping right over the gears when under load. Can i replace the chain w/o removing the the whole thing. If so I would probably do it tonight. Could someone please give me some insight on what i need to do. It looks like i can pull it all apart under the jeep. If you could even give me a call at 616-826-7327 and tell me that would be wonderful. I need my 4x4 back as soon as possible.

You need to pull out the transfercase. Trying to shortcut the repair is just going to waste more of your time. Replace both gears when you do the chain and make sure you clean the pump filter/screen.

does anyone know were i can get a new chain, and gears w/o paying a fortune. I'm a full time college student with little to no money to spare.

does anyone know were i can get a new chain, and gears w/o paying a fortune. I'm a full time college student with little to no money to spare.

I am trying to find where I bought mine. It was a guy in Sacramento, ca and he sold OEM. I think it cost me $125.00 for a wide chain and the two gears. I will keep looking.

I think this is where I bought my parts.

Transfer Case Express Inc.
2969 East 7th Street
Oakland, California,
USA 94601
(510) 533-2273
Fax: (510) 533-2298
———— and ————
600 Bruckner Road
Spartanburg,
South Carolina,
USA 29307
(864) 579-1960
Fax: (864) 579-1957

I replaced my chain. I also replaced the oil pump pickup. I think they both cost me $125. I didn't replace the rear seal, and it started leaking about 2 weeks later. I'd replace that. You can get it online for $13 or at the dealer for $32.

I did NOT remove the transfer case, I just removed enough to get to the chain.

I didn't want to spend the $250+ for new gears, so I broke it down and looked at them. They "seemed" to be fine, so I just replaced the chain.

Everything works great now.

I would have liked to bought a overhaul kit and new gears and gone through the whole thing, but I'll wait and do that when I do the SYE.

So to answer your question. Yes you can do it under the vehicle. Yes you can just replace the chain. Use brake cleaner and really clean everything well. Keep in mind that if you are doing it cheap, you may wind up having to do it again, and again, or you may get luckly like I did.

It just depends on what you find in there.

My original idea was to get a spare transfer case and swap then work on my original, then swap it back. Didn't work out NP242 were going for $350+

They charged me 165.00 for the wide chain, the two gears and both seals along with the plastic shift fork guides. My two cents is still pull the case, it only takes 20 min, and it is sure nice to work on the bench.

I'm living at my house at school. If I was back home I would pull the whole thing and rebuild it. I just don't have the tools or extra money at my current location.

You need to remove the front output yoke and remove the front output gear too, then put in both gears and the chain as an entire assembly. That's the only way it'll fit back together.

Was the chain stretched? If you aren't in 4x4 there is nothing the chain can be jumping around on really, especially since you mentioned it happens underload. The chain would not have any load on it when in 2wd, besides the front driveshaft spinning.

You actually dont need to remove the front yoke at all. Just put the new (or old?)bottom gear and top gear on at the same time with chain around them. I have done this twice now on my 231, and have never removed the front yoke or driveshaft. Saves a fair amount of time.

~James

I got the chain off. Is there any special procedure for putting the new one on. I can't find a good write up on it.

I slid off the gear closest to the driver's side and put the chain on the gear still attached to the tcase. I put the free gear in the chain and tried to balance the lenght of the chain on each side, then slid the free gear back on.

I didn't read anything about how to do this just guessed at it.

I just didn't want to pull that whole gear set out thats closest to the passengers side and have a bunch of stuff fall out.

Just had my 242 on the bench a couple days ago. There is a snap ring holding each gear on, remove both rings and the chain and both gears will slide right off at the same time. Replace them in the same manner and re-assemble.

Back