• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

j truck axles

tsill

NAXJA Forum User
Sorry if this has been covered. I read crash's article and several others. I have a 44 and 60 out of a j20 truck that I would like to have under the xj. It's almost paid off and I want to have some fun with it now! Both are 8 lug axles and want to know who has done this swap. I'm taking welding classes now and should be able to do the necessary work. Currently have OME 3", TomWoods shafts, and 231 output upgrade. Running 31's right now and will probably get the RE 5.5 or just modify what I have to get a little taller. I know the 44 let alone the 60 is overkill for what I will be doing but I want to be able to swap them in after I break the other two axles, which I plan on doing!
TIA

i did 44's out of a j10, theyre 5" wider (overall....so 2.5" per side)

the 60 out of the j20 is almost worthless, its a 3/4 ton at best axle, semi float, small drums, i wouldnt even bother using it, the diff is huge, and its still not going to be good for much more than 36's or 37's. 44 with alloy shafts if you wanna run that size rubber, for the ground clearence, or a full float 60 if you wanna go bigger.

same with the front, its the standard thin wall, 1/2 ton 44, just w/ 8 lug outers, i broke mine w/ stock shafts, and 35's pretty much everytime i went out.

thats interesting. in my j20 i beat the crap out of mine and they took every bit of it. also, i'm 99% sure that the 60 is a full floater. the drums are enormous. not that that is an advantage of course. i hate drums. they never work. i doubt i will go larger than 35's anyway. i guess my thoughts are 1) i have the axles sitting in the garage taking up space, and 2) it would be nice to have the extra strength. sounds like from your experience it might not be worth it though.
BTW, from my experience being 99% sure about something means you really don't know! Sounds good though.

tealcherokee said:
the 60 out of the j20 is almost worthless, its a 3/4 ton at best axle, semi float, small drums, i wouldnt even bother using it, the diff is huge, and its still not going to be good for much more than 36's or 37's. 44 with alloy shafts if you wanna run that size rubber, for the ground clearence, or a full float 60 if you wanna go bigger.

I think you are thinking of the late 60's early 70's J-20 Dana 60. Which yes is semi-float, but has 35 spline 1.5" axle shafts, just like any after market semi-float D60 someone would order. But you are right is only has ~2.5" axle tubes and smaller drums, let alone being offset to the passender side 6". The later model J-20's did have a full-float, 30 spline, 65" wide, huge drumed Dana 60. He more or less has a 65" wide set of 3/4 ton axles, just with a low pinion Dana 44.

yeah, what he said! the axles are out of a 80 j20 and they are pretty strong. thanks for all the input. so how did the 44's install in your truck. do you like the swap/recommend it. i know the axles i have would be strong enough for anything i'm gonna throw at the xj. let alone they are free so i might as well get some space back in my garage.

CartsXJ said:
I think you are thinking of the late 60's early 70's J-20 Dana 60. Which yes is semi-float, but has 35 spline 1.5" axle shafts, just like any after market semi-float D60 someone would order. But you are right is only has ~2.5" axle tubes and smaller drums, let alone being offset to the passender side 6". The later model J-20's did have a full-float, 30 spline, 65" wide, huge drumed Dana 60. He more or less has a 65" wide set of 3/4 ton axles, just with a low pinion Dana 44.

that must be it, i wasnt aware that the j20's came with anything but the semi float 60

Question is what do you plan on doing with your xj, i have the stock axles under my jeep and i beat the living hell out of my jeep and it is sitting pretty in my garage smiling at me...and i do plan on going to a dana 44 in the back only cause i running red trails now and i need a little comfort...

Back