• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another flooring thread

Sherman_thetank

Keep it pinned!
I am looking to pull all of my carpet here in the near future and see how much rust i have growing, and i have been kicking around a couple things. I would like to lay down some more sound deadening material (peel and seal or eDeadv2). Also have always wanted to put down Hurculiner, as my actual floor (no more carpet). So my question is, can you lay down some kind of tar based sound deadened, and then put Hurculiner over it? Or will it crack and peel off? And if that wont work does anyone know of an alternative to what im looking to do?

Alex

Anyone?

I'm not too sure about this one. Are you talking about the liquid deadener? If so what base is it? I know herculiner is some sort or urethane. If anything, I would put down the herculiner first, followed by the sounds deadener. If it's like dynomat or any kind of stick on application, it would obviously suck and not work too well. If you put down the deadener first, I don't think the herculiner would stick. Usually those deadeners have a very slick foil backing. Herc wouldn't like that.

I just herculined my interior and the road noise was definitely increased pretty significantly. I did just paint the herc over the factory stick on sound deadeners (the silver stuff on the floor) and it seems to be sticking just fine. Maybe you could line some dynomat and paint over that, I dunno.

I'm not too sure about this one. Are you talking about the liquid deadener? If so what base is it? I know herculiner is some sort or urethane. If anything, I would put down the herculiner first, followed by the sounds deadener. If it's like dynomat or any kind of stick on application, it would obviously suck and not work too well. If you put down the deadener first, I don't think the herculiner would stick. Usually those deadeners have a very slick foil backing. Herc wouldn't like that.
No, it comes in sheets, and then you just cut to fit

I just herculined my interior and the road noise was definitely increased pretty significantly. I did just paint the herc over the factory stick on sound deadeners (the silver stuff on the floor) and it seems to be sticking just fine. Maybe you could line some dynomat and paint over that, I dunno.
Really, how long ago did you do that? And have you noticed any pealing or cracking?

It's only been a couple of weeks since I painted it. So far so good. I put on 2 coats of herc. The floors get pretty warm too. If you pull the carpet out, you'll see that they have nice, 1" think padding over the floorboards to deaden the sound and contain the heat.

hmm alrite i might have to look into doing that, but id proby opt to put another layer of deadener down on top of that stock stuff. Well to put it in perspective, in winter....i dont need a heater, and a stereo is pointless....ya its bad

...? Sounds like you need to be looking into an exhaust system and trans cooler instead.

Jeepster did you mean to say the noise was REDUCED significantly or amplified more? I don't see how adding more substance over what was already there, and then putting the carpet back in would make even more noise...

I herculined my interior last year and cut up the floor boards recently. The herculiner, after being subject to constant heat from the tranny/exhaust, and rapidly cooled, was still very pliable. I wouldn't worry about putting it over the sounds deadening material. The dynomat or whatever the hell isn't going to give enough to cause the herculiner to tear or anything. It's pretty resiliant stuff.

...? Sounds like you need to be looking into an exhaust system and trans cooler instead.

Jeepster did you mean to say the noise was REDUCED significantly or amplified more? I don't see how adding more substance over what was already there, and then putting the carpet back in would make even more noise...
Well thats whats sad, i just finished a custom 2 1/2" exhaust, and alot of the noise is from my p.o.s tranny that Im counting the hours till it explodes, but this is somthing i would like to do so next spring when i change the tranny its already done and ready to go.

I was seriously looking at doing the same thing then ran into some tough times w/the cash flow. Check out this thread over at Second Skin Audio http://secondskinaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3902 read the thread, lots of good info in there then check out the Second Skin's website their damplifying mat is superior by far to just about all out there. The way I loook at it is you really only want to mess around with doing this to your floor once, so you might as well do it right the first time and do it right.

Chek out this http://sounddeadenershowdown.com/ it is a couple years old but still alot of valueable info in there about many different products.

Make sure to post up pics and findings when done interested in your results.

About two months ago, I herc. the interior right over dynomat... (the sticky stuff with the silver backing) no problems at all put two coats to make sure it was covered... by far one of the best mods i have made... the carpet really was becoming rank.. got really old quick....

btw the interior noise level sure has become alot louder.... like others have stated a stereo is almost pointless however i can began to hear it if i crank up the volume... but im running a flowmaster that is pretty loud....

just my .02

Last edited:
Planed on Hercing mine this weekend that just passed. but the herc is late in the mail. I started to take off thoes pads but figured now im only going to take off the ones near rust, so I can wire wheel it clean, which is only on the drivers foot area.
with school, work and now with hunting season starting Idk when Im going to get this done. I feel like a race car driver with no interior and only one seat. its loud as hell.

i just bedlined mine last week, carpet stank and rust surface rust needed to be cleaned up. I think a big part of sound deadening is keeping carpet in so maybe do the bedliner/sound deadening and then put carpet back in for sure. Mine is very very loud now that I ditched carpet but I expected that. I just cover up the mix road noise, exhaust and tsl tire sound with music.

I was seriously looking at doing the same thing then ran into some tough times w/the cash flow. Check out this thread over at Second Skin Audio http://secondskinaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3902 read the thread, lots of good info in there then check out the Second Skin's website their damplifying mat is superior by far to just about all out there. The way I loook at it is you really only want to mess around with doing this to your floor once, so you might as well do it right the first time and do it right.

Chek out this http://sounddeadenershowdown.com/ it is a couple years old but still alot of valueable info in there about many different products.

Make sure to post up pics and findings when done interested in your results.
Thats exactly what my thoughts were, i only want to do this once! thanks for the info guys!

Back