• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'96 Cherokee blows 5amp fuse for dash lights

DOC1KOC1

NAXJA Forum User
Need some help. The 5amp fuse which powers the dash lights blows. But when replaced it works for a week or two before it blows again. I have wiggled wires after replacing the fuse and cannot get it to blow again. Any known issues on '96 XJ's in this area? I know I will probably end up pulling the whole dash out and tracing out the light circuit, which would be very time intensive.... Any one else have this issue?????? Thanks in Advance.

DOC

The 74 and 194 bulbs typically have the contact wires coming straight out the back and then folding over along the base. Since these wires are just hanging out and are not soldered to a real socket cap, they tend to fold and twist and break when they are inserted and it's not hard at all to get a short. Best advice I can give here is to pull them all out, look at them up close to see if the contact wires are where they are supposed to be and are in good condition.

Back