• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driving Lights and High Beams

Fish'nCarz

NAXJA Forum User
Can you wire driving lights to come on with your high-beams? I mean functionally and legally!! ;^)

Functionally ? Yes! But depending on the power of the lights you are using, you may have to change the wiring, switch, really, everything! Not a good idea. Plus it's illegal, at least in Minnesota to run driving lights with your headlights. On the open highway.

Yes, they would wire in the same way as fog lights, switch inline, fused and relayed. The only difference is you would trigger the relay with the high beam wire instead of the parking light/low beam wire..

GreenbeltXJ said:
i know of this company, don't know if they do it for jeeps though.
http://www.mrtaillight.com/product_info.php?products_id=372
That place is in Mt Gilead, Ohio on SR95 just as you rcomming into town on the north side. I have never seen, or heard anything about there work though. If you want to bring it down to Lima, OH I would be able to get you set up for a small fee. You need to provide the lights though. I suggest IPF's 868's, or the 968's. So far the best light for the price I have experence with.

Last edited:
im also curious on how to do this...ive had my driving lights mounted on my bumper for the last 6 months and have yet to hook them up
i really could care less if its legal or not to have them wired to my brights...the only time i have my brights on is offroad anyways
there has got to be a way to splice a wire somewhere to be able to do this!!!

come on i know theres someone out there that knows how to do it

just wire them in to your parking lights and they will stay on by themselves, the high or low beams

I know it can be done because I have done it with my Hella 500's. When I got my Hella's, the direction gave me the choice to wire them in by themselves or to the high beams. I will look around and see if I can find the directions. The way I did it was, I kept a switch wired to the lights so I can have them on with the high beams or I can turn them off and have just the high beams on. I guess you could do the samething with the low beams if you wanted it to be that way. I turn them on with the high beams when I run the back roads and turn them off when I run the more traveled main roads.

as stated above, trigger the relay with the high beam wire from the headlight switch. its a simple tap-in job. I did this on my old SJ. you need to tap a short wire from the driving light switch to the high beam wire ffrom the headlight switch. then leave the driving light switch on all the time.. the driving lights will come on only when high beams are on.

its really easy to do it but not really legal.

just run a wire from the positive terminal on the battery through a fuse then to a switch. coming out the other side of the switch go to the positive terminal on one light and take the negative from that light and connect that to the positive of the second light. lastly take the negative from the second light to the negative of the battery.

ta da you are done

the only thing is make sure you turn them off because wiring them this way they will always be able to turn on even if you don't have the key in.

I have mine wired like this so don't say it is impossible. also i have run them for 6 hours straight with no problems of having too much power burning stuff up either.

Back