• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which Tires to Get?

RSchurig356

NAXJA Forum User
I have a stock 2000 Classic 4X4 and I need new tires. I am going to up the size to 235/70R16's and spend the winter in lots of snow in Michigan's UP. I also plan to do moderate off-roading and some mudding. What tires do you guys think are best?

I am trying to decide between BFG A/T's, Toyo Open Country A/T's or Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor's. Anyone got any opinions on what is best?

Silent armors are very heavy and hard to balance, they are meant for big trucks.

I don't really have any experience with the open countries

BF Goodrich makes a great tire and the All Terrain T/A's are a great tire. I'd go with them because of their traction, tread life, noise and price.

If your only going with ATs don't forget to look around for off brand tires too. My wife's are some offbrand (the name of which escapes me at the moment) tires do a pretty good job for her. they are 31s and have real nice pattern.
We used to run Bridgestone Destination ATs on our old S-10 blazer. Worked pretty good in the snow and ice. Didn't take off road much but they were satisfactory the few times they were in the dirt.

BFG A/Ts suck in the mud & they are at best, fair in the snow. 2X on generic tires. I'm on my second set of Les Schwab Federal 351 A/Ts & they work well in our Pacific N/W mud & snow.

I just installed a new set of Bridgestone Dueler A/T's and they are great. Awesome grip on pavement and excellent traction off road. They also last up to 60k if you rotate on a regular basis.

For me it was between them and BFG's, but the Bridgestones were rated higher on tirerack, were a bit cheaper per tire, and for some strange reason $100 less for shipping. They look really cool too. :)

Truck at work runs the Wranger M/Ts. Those tires are amazing. They are very quiet for being so aggressive.

I currently run BFG A/Ts. They BLOW in the mud. The mud sticks to it like a fat kid on chocolate cake. +1 for ride noise and tread-wear though.

My next set will be Wrangler M/T's though. It's what the Army uses on their vehicles (HMMV).

Truck at work runs the Wranger M/Ts. Those tires are amazing. They are very quiet for being so aggressive.

My next set will be Wrangler M/T's though. It's what the Army uses on their vehicles (HMMV).

They are also VERY STIFF. They arn't at all designed for a lightweight vehicle like an XJ. Even aired way down they sidewalls will barely move. They have horrible grip due to such hard rubber. But hey atleast they truthfully wear like iron.

They are also VERY STIFF. They arn't at all designed for a lightweight vehicle like an XJ. Even aired way down they sidewalls will barely move. They have horrible grip due to such hard rubber. But hey atleast they truthfully wear like iron.

The truck we run at work is a F-150 with ~ 300lbs in the bed. It rides pretty good. It's no ferrari, but still.

BFG A/Ts handle great in snow up here in Washington, granted it's usually only a few inches of wet stuff...but none the less. Of the tires you've listed they're the best I've read/seen/used.

Granted, I'm a BFG believer, run Mud Terrains now...and want KM2s.

~Scott

i've ran bfg at's, they're pretty decent.

i have toyo open countries on my truck. i like em. good street manners, yet fairly aggressive.

Does oil or tires draw more response? :laugh:

We had this guy come to our work and try to sell us some of this product that would help get rid of oil on concrete. They said not to use it on asphalt because it'd dissolve the oil used in the asphalt.

I wondered if it'd dissolve tires.

I'm running BFG A/Ts and they work great in the snow (I'm in Houghton, MI). I don't have anything to compare them to, but I've been very happy with their performance.

Scott

I would HIGHLY recommend Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor's. I have them on my two XJ's (235/75-15) and on my '04 Grand Cherokee. In the past, I ran studs during the winter, but after a winter of Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor on my XJ, no need for studs! My buddy put some on his Tundra, and LOVES them.

Also, if you catch them on special, you can get one year interest free, and a $80 cash back. On my 89, which I did right before Halloween, I paid $580, plus $80 rebate. Great tires for $500.

The tires are quiet, excellent in the dry, snow, and seem OK in the rain. I think they have a 50k warranty too.

You won't be sorry,
RG

Check out the reviews for the Bridgestone Dueler A/T revo. they are the highest rated All terrain available. Im not just saying that because i have them on my ZJ, im sayin it because i have been looking for new skins on the XJ.

Back