• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

5.5" lift, Chrysler 8.25, no SYE?

ddeadserious

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone have this setup(or with more lift.) I'm on a tight budget and mr rear is only lifted 3.5", I'm going to buy 5.5" leaf packs but if a SYE isn't completely necessary, I'm not going to bother wasting my money. If it is necessary, how bad will it be without it? Is vibration all that will happen, or is it dangerous? Thanks in advance.

-Mike

You wouldn't be wasting your money, as it is a better set up anyway

You will hear most people say not having a SYE will not work with that much lift. I would assume the consensus would aslo be, if you are on a budget, do a Hack N Tap and a front driveshaft.

I have RE 4.5" lift on my 8.25 and a hck-n-tap. A h-n-t is one of the few ways i know of to mount a SYE to an 8.25.

I didn't want to hastle with any problems in the future if i decided to go higher, so i got a SYE, cv shaft, and degree shims.

So bassically to answer your question i would recomend getting one if you go to 5.5 lift. PM me if you have any questions.

James.

Tom Woods is a very good company, their kit with every thing is around 400 bucks.

Performance Off road Center has a good price on a SYE. ($185) I think I saw their SYE/driveshaft combo was $449, which is a pretty good price.

I got my set up from Rusty's. $500 for an Advance Adapters and a Tom Woods Shaft (but shipping was waaay expensive). My co-worker got a TeraFlex Super Short Kit and Tom Woods Shaft for the same price, but I don't remeber where he got it from.

Here is the hack n tap description from RE website:

"kit requires the modification of your stock output shaft. Drill and tap included for easy installation. Drive flange is machined from solid Stainless Steel for extreme strength and corrosion resistance. " $88

And since you are newer, and so you don't hear it a thousand times, use the search function.

ddeadserious said:
If I were to use the TNT customs 1.5" boomerang shackles, I'd still need the SYE, right?

On top of the 5.5" leaves, yes, even more so. Also when wheeling, you risk the chance of having the rear DS bind up or fall out. :dunno: Do it right the first time around and you won't be disappointed. :thumbup:

ddeadserious said:
What exactly is a Hack N Tap?
heres my h&t and re spicer d.s. working great so far. i personally wouldnt run anything over 4" of lift with the crap oem slipyoke design :thumbup:
2euua6g.jpg

12GaugeXJ said:
On top of the 5.5" leaves, yes, even more so. Also when wheeling, you risk the chance of having the rear DS bind up or fall out. :dunno: Do it right the first time around and you won't be disappointed. :thumbup:

No not on top of the 5.5" leaves, just on my 3.5" bastard pack. Instead of the 5.5" leaves, would I need the sye still?

says you have a 93. since you have the older stlye of slipyoke, you can usually get away with more lift without SYE, but i still wouldnt do it. like 12gauge said u run risk of dropping the d.s. and in your case losing all your ATF from the TC. (note: i have a 96+ external tailshaft design) a hack and tap on your TC would look differenent but they are basically the same. the older 231's use a new seal and get rid of the 'cone' on the back of the TC.

if you really dont want to get a SYE.. I would atleast use a d35 rear driveshaft in place of yours.. it's longer and you would have less chance of dropping the shaft..

I have the 8.25, S10 bastard packs, and 2" Daystar shackles totaling 6"

No SYE, but I have some terrible noises coming from below deck, somethings gonna break soon.

I have also wondered about this same thing. I have a 95, 6.5 lift, 8.25 rear and i dont have a slip yoke. I have a lot of down travel in the rear and my d.s has never slipped out, can anyone tell me if this makes sense?

Ok so Im installing a 4.5" kit on my 88XJ, now its a dana 35 and I would love to not have to install a SYE and a CV, but I was wondering RE sells a extended slip yoke or something like that, would that stop vibrations if I have any when Im done, I mean for $75 it would be a nice alternative.

Im still confused, I mean all the places that sell it say, for cherokees not using a SYE. That doesnt help me much, Im sorry. So how would this help at all then, because technically if I stil get vibrations then wouldn't that still cause damage?

Back