• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Second battery cable- what's it for?

Reddleman

NAXJA Forum User
Stupid question, but my 97 sport has a second cable coming off the side +terminal that has been partially corroded. So:

1. What's it for?
2. Would it be a good idea to replace the partially corroded section (already cleaned it out w/baking soda soaking)?
3. What's the best way to go about it?

one should go to the starter and one should go to the PDC- power distrobution center

for a reliable and permanent repair, change the entire cable. Any patch/ partial repair is just introducing another area for the corrosion to form again.

Correct - replace them outright. OEM cables aren't sealed well (they do things on the cheap,) which means that there is a place for corrosion to be introduced into the cable. Most bulke aftermarket cables are a little bit better - but not much. At least they run insulation all the way down to the crimped lug on the cable.

How much you spend on the replacement depends on how soon you want to do it again. I don't like doing jobs twice - so I'm willing to spend money to do it right the first time. You come out ahead that way...

There's a link in my sig that might help you. Click it...:flipoff:

Back