• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Smooth Vibrations

GinisKratos

NAXJA Forum User
So it was raining last night, and I have a 242 tcase, has the off road only 4w part time and the normal driving 4w full time 4wd. according to the book I can drive in 4wd on the pavement in full time and be just fine. So I thought what the hell why not, a few miles wouldn't hurt. So I pop it into full time and off I went. and ALL the vibrations I have under normal 2wd were GONE. GONE! :wow: they come back alittle when I let off the gas, but other then that its a smooth, smooth ride. So what gives?

I want it to be smooth all the time, obviously, so what would be the first thing to check and/or replace to get that started? should I just buy and rebuild a d30 and replace the front drive shaft or is there a less expensive way or some common thing that wears out that I can look for. Before. Thanks in advance guys.

~Ed

My thought is that your front driveshaft and or front differential is worn and when it's on the coast end of things it vibrates. When on the drive side of things it smooths out. Makes perfect sense.

You should be able to run your 242 in Full Time 4wd, well, full time. All the time. I've done it, no harm, no issues, little less gas mileage. I <3 my np242s especially in these snow.

So climb under there and start wiggling front driveline components to see what gives.

So climb under there and start wiggling front driveline components to see what gives.
Ive actually done that before, my front drive shaft would turn about 1/4 turn,found my pas side ujoin was toast. replaced it and the front drive shaft didnt move anymore, the other day I was under it to put in the ZJ draglink and tie rods and it does turn about 1/4 turn again, couldent see what was moving, my first thought was another ujoint, but no, any takes? its either in the diff or in the tcase, which is more likely, this is my DD and i dont have much time to tear into it :bawl:

I'd start by pulling the front DS. Then take a drive in 2WD & see if the vibes are gone. Might be the CV joint in the DS going bad. JIM.

Back