• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starter Issues

jeepster_259

NAXJA Forum User
So, recently my starter has been acting up. At first, when I turned the key nothing was happening, just the starter relay clicking. After banging on the starter, when I turned the key it would clunk if I jumped the terminals with a screwdriver, but still no start.

I took the starter off, cleaned it up real nice, put it back in, and had to jump the terminals with a screwdriver to get it to start. After that it worked once with the key and then back to just a clunk, then it started the Jeep, but the starter kept on spinning while the jeep was running.

Now 75% of the time I get the jeep to start, the starter keeps spinning. The other 25% of the time it just won't do anything. I've tested the starter by hooking it to the battery and it works fine. So, question is, is this the starter solenoid? Do I just need a new starter or something else?

Back