• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

removable doors

f1tbiker6

NAXJA Forum User
i want to do a removable door mod to my jeep comanche.

is it as simple as finding hinges of a wrangler and bolting them to my door?
also when doing this do you have to have at least a driver side mirror, or both driver and passenger side?

I use my stock hinges, just cut them like this..I have had the stock doors on while off roading.. They open an close fine... Hope this helps..

doorpin.jpg

Do it slowly.. Take your time.. try an find some spare hinges to work with...I used grade 8 bolts for the pin.. DO NOT HANG ON DOORS WHEN DONE

and, on mine at least, yes they are welded. certainly wouldn't hurt to do to ensure that they don't loosen up on ya

Nope, but it was a bit8H to get out.. I used a drill bit to remove it..I think it was like a 5/16 bit... I think... Angle drill worked great after i got the door off...

Look at the pin, i know it is hard to see the top.. I used vice grips to mess up the threads, then i used a punch to flair the top out a little

this is the only page i was able to locate from when i did mine a couple months ago.

http://www.projectxj.com/mods/doorless.htm

when i did mine i left the hinge on the door and cut the bottom portion out with a dremel tool. a few whacks with a hammer on a punch and it was good.

searching on here will yield some better results.

does any one know where i can find the laws involved with being able to ride on the streets without doors? i cant find them anywhere.

it varries by area- state, county, city etc. check with your local law enforcement agency or your motor vehicle division.

i know we have a few members here from pa. you may be able to find a definitive answer in your chapters forum

it varries by area- state, county, city etc. check with your local law enforcement agency or your motor vehicle division.

Sorry, wrong answer... (Have you seen the trained monkeys they employ at the DMV? You wanna trust their expertise?)

Find the PA traffic and equipment laws online. Read them. Take notes.

Unless somebody happens to have the particular reg to offer up, in which case I'd still look it up to double check...

Good luck!

Robert

Back