• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

putting a 44 under the jeep WITHOUT hubs installed?

wishihad1

NAXJA Forum User
hey everybody

well im finally about to order my rock krawler 3 link in the next couple days and was thinking about installing it when i got home for thanksgiving break. only problem is i dont want to install the 3 link with the d30 up front, then tear it all apart again to put the 44 under there.

the 44 is pretty much done. i got a TNT truss/mount system which is all welded up, and 5:13s are done, and shafts, brakes, etc are all complete. only thing i dont have is the warn locking hubs, and i probably wont be able to get them untill i come home again in december. but without the warn hubs installed i have no way really of getting the hubs/rotors on there tight. can i take the old spindle/lock nut and tighten everything up, and have it support itself, or will it not support the weight of the jeep without the hubs being installed. im having a hard time explaining exactly whats going on, but hopefully somebody will get what im saying

thanks

If the Jeep isn't going to be moved, just stick jackstands under the front axle and call it a day.:patriot:

thats the thing...i cant leave it in the garage while im gone, therefore i cant leave it on jackstand either.

parents dont want the first thing people see when they open the garage door being a jeep sitting on jackstands for a month....dont really blame em

well, at least it would be a nice jeep they're looking at...

The Warn hubs don't support any weight or retain the stock hubs and rotors onto the spindle, that's all done with the factory bearings and lock nuts that are inboard of the Warn or whatever selectable hub is used.

you can move it like that

i wouldn't drive it like that for long though. your shaft may flop around in the spindle a bit, plus you dont want to get gunk in there

Ya, as said, the hubs don't support anything. They only really slide into the splined hub and are held there by a snap ring, that's all. You shouldn't say the old spindle nut as you still need to use it.

i wont be able to order the warn hubs because im in school full time and make zero dollaz. thanks for all the help everybody. i wont be really driving it like this, just moving it out of the garage, about 15 yards to where i park it in the driveway.

you should be fine then...what happened to the factory hubs? if you still have them just put them back one. only takes a few min to swap them later on down the road

yea..ive actually still got the old ones, but they were the auto hubs, and i threw away the center cap part because i pretty much trashed it when i was pulling the old parts out

you could proble get a set of hubs out of a junk yard for $10. I have found nice warn ones.

no good junkyards around here.

ive tried to get a mirror, and an 8.8 both through local junkyards, and the mirror was 40, and the 8.8 was 700...that was the last time i tried to deal with them

well sounds like i can make that work out pretty easy

1 other little problem, i currently dont have a wagoneer drop pitman arm, so im not going to be able to bolt up my drag link to the stock pitman arm. any good ideas for how to steer it around in the driveway for a couple seconds to park it. i was thinking get a couple good sized ratchet straps and go from the pitman arm to each knuckle?

you should be able to get your drag link in there far enough to get a few threads on with the nut. They should not be that different sized and if 15 foot is all you are going, who cares about alignment.

take it from someone doing a solid axle swap on a dakota(helping out a friend)
You can steer a vehicle with no steering hooked up. All you have to do is have someone kick the tire while someone else pushes. Or, I have seen people use a floor jack to move a vehicle. It will work, as long as you take it slow and BE CAREFUL!

I remember being in school and penniless... email me your name, address, and phone. I have a couple sets of d44 locking hubs laying around. I will ship you a set and whenever you get the money together, paypal me $30.

mark

mlockwood at inbox dot com

If you have two full sized jacks you can move it around. It isn't easy by any means, but it will do the job. You have to push and/or pull both jacks in the same direction at the same time, but in a pinch it will work. Just keep the front tires off the ground during the move. I've moved my jeep with it around the driveway when everything outside the drivers side knuckle fell off before.

Also, if you are leaving the hubs off for awhile. Get creative with some duct tape or something similar to cover the hubs up from the weather. The last thing you want is rusty parts inside the hubs.

Back