• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

quick tire clearance question

stephenspann27

NAXJA Forum User
I plan to go with a 2'' lift in order to retain drivability and keep cost down.. as well as avoid the need for adjustable trackbar.. different shocks.. SYE .. a laundry list of extra cost.

Anyways I was hoping to fit 31'' tires.. and I was curious if they would clear if mounted on the OEM wheels, or if I would need aftermarket wheels with different spacing in order for them to work?

yes theyll be fine on the stock rims. but if you plan on wheeling and carrying heavy loads, they will most likely rub.

no, aftermarket rims would rub too, maybe they would rub the front less, but that's an easy fix just by adjusting steering stops, it's the rear that can be the problem. We ran like this for the better part of a year, it was only a problem when the jeep was loaded down for camping.

no, aftermarket rims would rub too, maybe they would rub the front less, but that's an easy fix just by adjusting steering stops, it's the rear that can be the problem. We ran like this for the better part of a year, it was only a problem when the jeep was loaded down for camping.

I would suggest going with 30x9.5's instead. Bigger tires are nice, but 31's vary in actual height vs advertised height the same as any tires. Also, aftermarket rims come with less back spacing, and will cause the tires to take more room to turn in the wheel wells, causing them to contact the fender flares. With the .5" less ground clearance of the 30's vs the 31's, you'll have a lot more turning room in the fenders and also room for the tires to travel. They will also be lighter tires requiring less effort by the motor and cooler drive line temps (transmission generally worst for this) and better gas mileage than the 31's. I ran 235/75's when I had my ~2" stuff under my jeep. Remember, good wheeling is knowing the limits of your rig and wheeling to suit them, not who's got the biggest tires.

Thanks for the advice. I went wheeling today in it for the first time with an experience local 4wd club. I was amazed by it's capabilities in stock form. My biggest limiting factor was traction.. the the radial street tires. The second most limiting factor was drivetrain clearance. I was frequently dragging the diff high center on hilsl that had ruts. Using a spoter I was able to get traction in most situations that cause the open diffs to spin in the air.

Back