• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

thinking of making my own muffler

Beezil

Member #Nay
NAXJA Member
with all the "no room for anything" whining I've been doing, I figured I'd throw this out......

there's no room for my old exhaust to fit in the new scheme.

so, I was thinking on making my own....I found some 16ga. 5" diameter tube laying around, and just for fun, threw it on a brakepress with flat dies and compressed the round tubular shape into a nice oval shape, somewhere around 6.25x3.5 wide....its a sexy muffler-looking shape to be sure, but much tighter.

so, I was wondering......

I can either make individual chambers with baffles like the flowmaster uses, or I could perforate the pass-through tube with a bunch of holes and fill the inside of the muffler body with some kind of batting or something.

I'm going for QUIET....I don't want "performance sound" or any of that crap......

any ideas? anyone know anything about muffler design?

Boy, talk about penny pinching LOL, Just go get one of those tiny little cherry bombs and route your exhaust to go up in front of the gas tank and mount it up in there and then it is a straight shot to the wheel well and then route it back, that is probably how I will do mine, with mine I have to angle over to the center tunnel right after the Cat and then up like that to clear the upper wishbone link but I have checked and there will be plenty of room for it even if the backend is completely squating, I am pretty sure you are looking at the same situation

Well, there are some underground publications on how to make 'mufflers' and various other things like that. Carefule you don't get atf interested :D

You nutty. Go for it. Once again, I provide no tech, but I'm sure you'll make it work. Go ahead...put some snakes in yer mouth.

Beezil 07-22-2003 10:14 said:
go cherry bomb or go home.

I am going to try one of these in my new exhaust, hopefully it will quiet it down.
3297232510cutaway.gif

Maybe have a perferated cone at the front and then spiral baffles the rest of the way, kind of like the spiral flows.
http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=1338&prmenbr=361

hmmmmmmmmmm....

I have TONS of pre-perf steel sheets around, with different percentages of "open" (which is combo of hole size, hole centers, hole columns, and hole staggers) I never, never thought of using perf sheets as baffles!

I wonder how it would work?

shit, chris, got yer message....damn I forgot...sorry. please try again, home now.

is my turtle in your yard?

How about a SuperTrapp on the end of the exhaust. They are small and you can tune the amout of flow by adding or subtracting the number of disc.

funny.....I was just talking to chew....he said the same thing...

there's a chance I may have to run the exhaust above the floorboards and go out above the rear bumper.....kinda like a sand buggy I guess.....

we'll have to see, just trying to stay ahead of the game.

I meant to ask you about the Supertrapp tonight. YOU NEED TO START LISTENING TO ME! I've been telling you to run the damn exhaust through the cab for weeks. Of course, I don't know if it will work yet. you tell me.

Flowers

flowers....since you are sitting int he passenger seat in moab, there's no telling how I'll plumb it.....how bout some white smoke coming out of your ears? I betcha you'd produce a "throaty" sound......

I say make a 180* bend at the manafold and run the pipes straight out of the hood. :D

Don't forget the "Truck Nutz"!!!

okay maybe i'm at the wrong site but i thought we were talking about xj's here? You guys are going all wierd on me now. :)

Effective mufflers work on two different principles in combo:
Fiberglass stuffing as a sound deadener; and,
Resonation created by plate baffles precisely spaced to reflect sound waves back into each other, causing cancellation of the loudest offending frequencies.

You could prolly autopsy an XJ muffler to determine the ideal reflecting distance, then match that distance in your 'flattened tube' design with some solid (not perfed) baffles.

See:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/muffler3.htm

rix, without getting into the science of it all, would a fiberglass batting muffler be easier to get right? if so, could you just use standard attic insulation?

thanks for the link, gonna check it out now...

Back