• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who has a Manual and Automatic Lockers?? Need advice.

emr1101

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, i have debated over the which locker issue for a while, id really love to avoid buying a selectable because it would be a cheaper option for the parts, plus i wouldnt have to pay a shop to install it (since theyre all full carrier replacement, thus require setting up gears), so i was hoping i could get away with running lunchbox's front and rear. Ill be running an 8.8 rear and wanted to put an aussie in it, and an aussie up front in my dana 30. The only problem is mine is a 5 speed. So anyone running this setup look at my questions for each axle and let me know if you can answer my questions:

Rear axle: I know the off road abilities are great, but what about road manners?
Okay so given the somewhat jumpy (if you arent careful) nature of a stick, is a rear auto locker a bad idea? I use my rig for DDing and really cant afford bad tire wear, do you know if it would scuff the rear tires? Also on the highway and cruising speeds would it tend to lock itself going straight or anything wierd? I have heard sometimes when you shift gears it will jolt left or right, any word on this?

Front axle:Locking the dana 30 is great on the steet, barely noticeable, but how is the "driveability" while off road?
Most people will read that sentence and think im crazy, although every one seems to love the aussie on the road for mannors and do excellent off road, Im curious as to the whole "turning" thing with a front locker off road. Most guys say, "well if you cant get it to turn far enough then just put it in 2wd", that is easy for you AW4 guys but i run gears for the street and utilize my NP231's Low gear while offroad at all times. So, as you can imagine shifting into 2wd from 4low will get annoying as i have to stop completely and let it roll a bit and such. Anyway, im just curious as to how far you can turn before you really gotta go into 2wd? Or how much of a big deal that is...

Thanks a lot guys!

I have an aussie in my rear 44, and as you said, when pulling away from a stoplight, when shifting into second or third, it will sometimes unload causing it to pull to the side. But, after driving with the locker for a little while I got used to it and it doesn't bother me at all anymore. As far as using an autolocker with a 5 speed versus an automatic, I guess with the auto it might be more smooth, but again, I don't think it's uncomfortably or unsafely jumpy...just something that takes a little getting used to.

As far as the front goes, in my experience using a front locker(offroad only), the "driveability", or ease of turning, is definitely lower than it would be when using an open differential. However, this is not to say it's not possible to turn, just takes some more effort sometimes. I know some people have said that it's next to impossible to turn with a front locker on the trail, etc. This *can* be true, but in my experience only once in a great while, not every time you're trying to turn. Also, because of having the 5 speed, when it did happen I could just rock back and forth. Rolling the tires even the smallest amount forward/backward would help alot with freeing up the steering. Generally speaking though, I think the value of the front autolocker as opposed to a full carrier replacement locker overrides this, as I see it, slight drawback.

Hope I was able to help you out some :) I'm sure others will over their opinions and experiences as well

I have an aussie in my rear 44, and as you said, when pulling away from a stoplight, when shifting into second or third, it will sometimes unload causing it to pull to the side. But, after driving with the locker for a little while I got used to it and it doesn't bother me at all anymore. As far as using an autolocker with a 5 speed versus an automatic, I guess with the auto it might be more smooth, but again, I don't think it's uncomfortably or unsafely jumpy...just something that takes a little getting used to.

As far as the front goes, in my experience using a front locker(offroad only), the "driveability", or ease of turning, is definitely lower than it would be when using an open differential. However, this is not to say it's not possible to turn, just takes some more effort sometimes. I know some people have said that it's next to impossible to turn with a front locker on the trail, etc. This *can* be true, but in my experience only once in a great while, not every time you're trying to turn. Also, because of having the 5 speed, when it did happen I could just rock back and forth. Rolling the tires even the smallest amount forward/backward would help alot with freeing up the steering. Generally speaking though, I think the value of the front autolocker as opposed to a full carrier replacement locker overrides this, as I see it, slight drawback.

Hope I was able to help you out some :) I'm sure others will over their opinions and experiences as well

Well damn man, thanks a lot! You pretty much answered all my questions! But yea i would love just some lunchbox lockers, i was considering leaving the 8.8 open but that would be such a waste of a such an axle. I appreciate it. Does the rear give you any trouble on the street in like rain? Keeping in mind that it NEVER snows here haha

Not really, I mean I guess it's not as good as an open diff in rainy conditions, but it's fine. If anything, it's nice to be able to have fun sliding around :pirate1: It snows here alot, and last winter it never did anything to surprise/scare me when I was driving. You just need to be a cautious driver, not be stupid, and it's not a problem.

It can, every once in a while. But generally the "auto" part of the autolocker allows it to ratchet when going around corners rather than being like a spool where both tires always spin at the same speed. I went from open to welded to aussie in my rear axle, so the last change I made was an improvement for tire wear anyways...

I put an Aussie in my 89, very very cool. As soon as I can I will be putting one in my 94. $260.00 well spent.

I run an aussie up front on my 94 and I have an AX-15 as well. Turning is bearable off road as long as your'e not trying to make a tight u-turn or on slick rock. Alignment is important, you will feel the locker pulling you to one side if you're not well aligned. Remember, you can always add a 2 low kit if you want 2wd low range.

On road its only noticable by the noise that you get, and once you get used to that being "normal" no problems.

I have autos in both. Powertrax in the rear and an Aussie up front. Automatic lockers are all gonna be about trade off. Better off road traction for less money, but you have to deal with some quirks. (and I have an auto tranny so I can not comment on that manual issue)

The rear isn't that big of a deal. It does chirp once in a while on road. You probabaly will have a bit more tire scrub. I have never had an issue with the rear at freeway speeds. Sometimes if you gas it or let up on the gas, it will give you a little tug to one side or the other, but it's pretty manageable.

The front is not really noticable in 2wd usually. Mine makes some noises if I am turning very tightly, like into a parking spot. Offroad in 4wd can be a challenge at times. There have been a few times on rocks it's been a pain. Slick rock really makes tight turning more difficult. If I had the cash, I would go for a selectable up front, especially if it's a daily driver. It seems to be that you go through u-joints in the front more too with the autolocker. I have found if it's grabbing and not letting you turn, letting off the gas for second so the locker releases lets you get back on course.

As previously mentioned pay attention to your alignment. I have the best results when toe is right at zero.

My Jeep is not a daily driver, so I am not worried about some of the auto locker issues. Also, if you drive in snow at all, I would stay away from them. You can learn to "drive for them", but the lockers and car behavior start to do wierd things in snow and ice.

Last edited:
I have full detroits F/R, I don't have any problems except Ice, my jeep is worse in 4wd then 2wd on a ice covered road thinking about puting an open for the winter months- I refer to my winter driving as slidways:smsoap:

Back