• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Kilby Alternator pulley?

Neil

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I just relocated my battery to the cargo area and made some other mods along the way (I will show them off later). Right now I have a problem with my Kilby alternator pulley. It seems to be out of line. I don't have the York in yet so that can't be the problem. It seems like the belt is riding the inside of the alternator pulley. I took the spacer between the pulley and the alternator out (It would have been way off if left in) Visually it doesn't look off, When I run it I get smoke, a high pitched whine and little chunks of rubber flying off of the belt. Anybody got any ideas?

Specs

88, 4.0 with a/c
Kilby Enterprises Under-drive pulley with V belt grove
Brand new Gator Back serpentine belt (Now chewed into garbage)

Thanks
Neil

I was Just wondering if I missed a washer to remove, like behind the alternator cooling fan. Is there any way to check to see how far out it is? I would rather fix the problem than send it out(my Jeep has been down for too long as it is). The pulley looks precision machined and I would be more inclined to believe that I screwed something up. It didn't come with instructions so I guess they figure any moron can put it on. OOPS

Thanks,
Neil

When I put mine on, I took the alternator nut off, the washer and the pulley. Then put the new pulley on, the washer back on, and the nut back on. You sure you got the right pulley? I think there is a 6 groove and an 8 groove one.

I'm Just a moron. I got the belt up on the back edge of the pulley and that was the problem. I couldn't see it so it cost me a new belt. Oh well. Anyway, thanks for the help guys.

Neil

Thanks for the encouragement Chuck:anon: :bawl:

Back