• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what the heck is hitting my floor?

philip_g

NAXJA Forum User
you can hear and feel something when you hit a bump bouncing off the floor, seems like a stupid question but I've wiggled everything I can lay my hands on underneath and can't find anything loose enough to make a racket.

Don't suppose this is some stupid little common thing that just doesn't come up in a search? :doh:

when does it do it, and where does it sound like it's coming from?

Could be something like a worn out tranny mount allowing the transmission to move. Another possiblity might be a worn lower control arm bushing since that would place the bump right under foot. Just 2 ideas.

philip_g said:
you can hear and feel something when you hit a bump bouncing off the floor, seems like a stupid question but I've wiggled everything I can lay my hands on underneath and can't find anything loose enough to make a racket.

Don't suppose this is some stupid little common thing that just doesn't come up in a search? :doh:

Check the exhaust. If there's a loose support, it could move around more than normal.

Check the clearance between the exhaust pipe and the crossmember. It's minimal at best, and when the transmission mount begins to sag (it need not be broken or loose) it will often knock on bumps and when the engine idles. Wear in the exhaust mounts themselves will make it worse.

I think the trans mounts are a good possibility, it was cold today and it's worse in the cold, for awhile I could make it rattle if I lugged the engine a little while engaging the clutch.

it feels like it's right underfoot, I'll get under there and mine around some more, thanks for the tips!

Check your sway bar bushings. I have 127,000+ miles on my 99 XJ and have had to replace the things at least twice. When they get worn you fell a knocking/rattling sound when you go over any bumps or dips.

If you get underneath and pull down on the swaybar and see a space between the bar and bushing above the bar, then they are probably worn. These are changed pretty easily.

Another similar knocking came when my exhaust was hitting the transmission crossmember. I don't have the original exhaust though.

MAP

the sway bushings are definitely shot, but I don't think it's my problem, I think those are causing a little rocking motion when you go over bumps
on the list to change :)

I had the exact same thing after having my transmission replaced. I would feel something right under my feet. I thought, "OK, maybe I'm being too picky." Then, on the way to church, the transmission almost falls completely off. Check the transmission mounts....quick.

Matthew Currie said:
Check the clearance between the exhaust pipe and the crossmember. It's minimal at best, and when the transmission mount begins to sag (it need not be broken or loose) it will often knock on bumps and when the engine idles. Wear in the exhaust mounts themselves will make it worse.

I currently have the same issue, exhaust got knocked a little loose on my last wheeling trip, and now it hits the crossmember. Sometimes it just rattles it, and sometimes it's a knock. But it's a good thing to really look at closely.

Chris

Get some help. Have someone hold the brake, feather the clutch enough to load the driveline in forward and reverse gears. Some other brave soul has to look underneath while power is applied.
BTW, I'll be working on the mom-mobile if you want to drive to Golden. I'll check in around 3:00 to see if there are any IMs.

Hypoid said:
Get some help. Have someone hold the brake, feather the clutch enough to load the driveline in forward and reverse gears. Some other brave soul has to look underneath while power is applied.
BTW, I'll be working on the mom-mobile if you want to drive to Golden. I'll check in around 3:00 to see if there are any IMs.

thanks for the offer but I'm in the office today, after my all day crank pulley cluster yesterday I'm not feeling working on it today anyway :D

JeepDawg said:
I had the exact same thing after having my transmission replaced. I would feel something right under my feet. I thought, "OK, maybe I'm being too picky." Then, on the way to church, the transmission almost falls completely off. Check the transmission mounts....quick.

I worry about that or shucking a driveline or something, you never know..

It's almost my weather, just a little cooler. LOL

I've been following the posts on the local forum, wanting to go play. The little XJ needs more attention before I trust it that far. LCA bushings today, uppers are on order. Ball joints next week, maybe I'll have a skid made for the new tank by then...

check lower control arms on front axel. bushings?

want to do mine too? LOL

all my bushings are shot, front end is loose but I'm confident she's not going to leave me stranded.
I want to try redcone but should probably get some more experience first.

I had this very same problem with my old TJ, not sure if its the same or not...

Its right under your feet eh? My problem turned out to be the busings that attach to the transmission from your 4WD leaver, it was the bracket thingy, I posted this up on the TJ board, and they told me to go to an aftermarket one like Skyjacker, cause the factory ones are bad.

You can feel my rod, just go under the Jeep and grab it and wiggle it, the rod will have play in it....

Hope that helps...

Jeff

Back