• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

any ideas on a saggy headliner

tonexj

NAXJA Forum User
my headliner is sagging because the foam has started to detoriate and powderify so there is nothing to spray adhesive on to. is there a website that sells the foam piece in a remanufacturated type? i dont want to junkyard this because every xj i see has saggy headliners

I read an write up on doing it and its something im in the middle of right now, Basically just take out the old headliner, its premolded sound dampening mat so dont bend it up, just take it out. I removed al the plastic trim and it lifted right out, there are some wide metal hooks that it rests on.

Remove all the old the sagging cloth.

Take a broom, sweep up and remove all the old crusty foam. Get it all off there. Youll have a hard time glueing the new stuff on there if there is some left over, it will just sag again.

Get some adhesive spray from walmart or wherever, elmers makes some good stuff, and get some standard auto carpet or maybe Crushed velvet if that fits you ;) maybe some gold tassels too lol.

Anyways, spray, stick on whatever you decide to replace it with, make sure the seams are pushed together well, the carpet I'm going to use isnt wide enough to cover it all in one shot. but it was 12 bucks at schucks so :thumbup:

After you have it stuck on there, trim the edges to match the pre molded headliner, cut out the domelights and all that, I'll be cutting my hole in the cloth smaller then the real hole just in case, but the plastic cover for the domelight in my 89 will cover any mistakes no matter what.

Speaking of domelights youll need to get new fastners to secure the housings back to the studs, at least i will, i had to bend mine to hell when taking it off... youll see when you get to that part. Easy to replace.

I havent finished mine yet because there are a few power wires to rear lights i want to run through there before i put it back in. Once I get those ran I'll finish it up.

Good Luck, hope this helped. IMO the 20 bucks that i have into this is better then anything else I could buy, that and its something that i DID and didnt just buy and toss in there. and thats really the whole point right? :)

~Ed

Last edited:
The foam isn't there to make the thing stick - just there to make it feel a bit softer and as a mild sound insulation.

Temporary Fix:
T-pins. You should be able to find them in office supply stores. You can also use hatpins, but T-pins will lay flatter against the headboard.

Permanent Fix:
Remove the headboard, scrape off the foam, and then use spray adhesive to stick new fabric down. You can use headliner fabric, or you can use any sort of print fabric you can find at a craft store (make sure to wash it first - to shrink it and knock the sizing out of it...) I prefer 3M spray adhesives - or 3M adhesives in general - for just about anything like this. You can also use polyurethane resin (like in fibreglas kits) on the backside/topside of the headboard to stiffen it - you can even lay down a layer of 'glas between layers of resin, if you like. The headboard will end up sandwiched between the headliner fabric and the 'glas, the 'glas does not go on the same side as the headliner!

Alternatively - you can reinforce the headboard from behind, clean up the inside/right side/bottom side of the thing, and then spray paint it to eliminate the problem altogether. If you do something like Herculiner on the lower part, you can also Herculine the headboard as well (don't get any on your hootus...:wierd::laugh3::D)

Apply a little creativity to the problem, and you'll find several solutions. Repair or eliminate the problem - it's up to you...

It's an easy project to do yourself. Any upholstery shop will sell actual headliner material (it will have the foam backing). You don't need the foam backing, but it is nice for sound deadening and condensation protection.

Whatever you do, please use the proper adhesive. The upholstery shop can sell you the proper 3M product that is specifically designed for automotive interiors.

Ditto on JoAnn's. Had enough to do my visors as well.

Back