• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lower radiator hose

skyaugen

NAXJA Forum User
Who sells a lower radiator hose with a internal spring? I tried all the big

auto parts stores, Quadratec and 4wd . I need to get my 88 Cherokee back

on the road.

You shouldn't need a spring in the hose. If it is sucking the hose closed without it you need to look as to why it is doing that instead of patching it.

Chris

I also had trouble finding a lower hose with a spring for my 98. Then I found the reason why my lower hose was collapsing. The overflow tube that goes from the radiator to the overflow bottle was clogged. Blew it out with some compressed air and presto, no more collapsed hose and no more overheating.

According to Jeep, the hose can collapse at high speeds because of the amount of suction. Its not a band aid, its something that came from the factory. At least based on everything Ive read about it.

I've found that one support spring can last through two, maybe three, hoses. If I replace a lower hose and the new one has the coil in it, I'll remove the old one, clean most of the crud off of it, and hang it on a hook out in the garage for "just in case."

Typically, the lower hose will collapse with age - the rubber softens from exposure to heat and oil, and will give out under suction from the water pump. Having the support coil in the hose is cheap insurance, and can make the difference between driving home and walking home at times.

If you just can't find a new spring when you need one, check at hydraulic shops. Suction lines for "primary power pumps" are often lined with support coils, which are available separately. The ones used for fluid power are typically CRES (vice chrome- or zinc-plated carbon steel,) and are usually wound from a thin, flat bar instead of simple wire. Get one of these, cut it to length, and you could use it for probably the rest of the life of the vehicle - I just haven't tried yet.

There is no need for the spring as all of the newer hoses are made so they do not need a spring. The only hoses that need springs these days are universal hoses which are not molded for the bends, twists, and turns that they need to make.

When I got my Jeep the hose did not have a spring, nor did the Goodyear hose I bought to replace it with. I've even heard that the dealership's hoses aren't coming with springs these days either.

The stealership is the only place I have been able to find them. As 5-90 said, the spring in the hose is cheap insurance. When it comes to my cooling system I stay with stock, whether I am in my wheeling rig or my dd. It is that way for a reason.

Back