• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

V8 in my cherokee

wickedmind2000

NAXJA Forum User
hello all,in my 86 cherokee it came with the gm V6 and it threw a rod through the side of the engine and i want something with a little more power and was wondering has any1 swaped a v8 into there jeep? and did u have to swap transmissions 2? and i just found out i have a NP207 transfercase is there a bolt in upgrade for the transfercase?please let me know ;-):D

It's really stuffed in there. It can be done, depends on your willingness to fabricate. I've seen LS1s in XJs, I was thinking about putting a 5.9L out of a '98 ZJ in, a buddy of mine said he put a 5.2 out of a ZJ in there and it did good, although I'd want more power than that 5.2. Maybe build the 5.2 a little.
I'm sure Advance Adapters makes adapter plates for probably a Chevy 350 to your trans depending. I've seen a few YJs with 350s in them, and I'm guessing those transmissions are almost the same as the XJ transmissions would be, but I'm not sure on that as I don't know much about the YJ Wrangler.
However you could always go with a 4.7 stroker at that point, it wouldn't be nearly as hard as putting a v8 in there I wouldn't think.

If you are going through the work to swap a v-8 why go with a little block. NO BALLS? It is the same amount of work for a big block...try a 440! There is no replacement for cubic dispalcement..especially in ther torque department!

Quacked

There are numerous threads here regarding V8's in Cherokees; search.
Mine:

enginstallbb5.jpg

Iv read that you will need to stiffen the frame up. the unibody has a hard time dealing with all that power. just from what Ive read.

here's one
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=972579

I have heard this alot but the ZJ has the 5.2 V8 correct me if i am wrong but i dont think they did anything to beef up anything in its unibody or drive train vs the XJ or the 4.0 ZJ.

If i did a V8 swap on my 98 i would do a rebuilt ZJ 5.2 V8 318.

I keep hearing the 5.2L 318 is a dog motor, that's why I keep thinking the 5.9L 360 would be better. Sure just getting a ZJ would be cool, but where's the fun in that haha.

I am sure that there are issues with the 318, but for what i want i am not looking for super performance or high horse power, i am going to take a used 318 from any dodge or jeep and rebuild it with a new cam and some other light mods but nothing crazy. I think it will be fun and a good learning experience.

AS far as just getting a zj to beginning with thats just boring, i want to do something that not everyone has. Since basically my entire unibody is getting plated it will be plenty beefy and i will get the brain for the 5.2 and wiring harness and then if i cant get an adapter to put the aw4 on it just run the zj tranny. Its a big endeavor but i am a mopar guy and i want to do it this way, vs over kill.

Well I'd assume the 318 would be good with a few mods such as headers, better intake etc. I have no first hand proof other than what I hear from a few friends that it is a dog motor. It matters to me because I wouldn't want to spend a lot of money and time modifying stuff to put an engine in if it won't give a decent gain in horsepower, kinda defeats the purpose.
Easiest mod I could see would be to take the ZJ engine, trans, computer and maybe t-case and swap them all in. TNT Customs makes nice unibody stiffeners as well and so plating the frame might be a little easier. I'd put a roll cage in it too, but that's just me. I'd also put on a steering box brace and better yet, a better steering setup. A bumper as well with heavy duty mounts so that pretty much all the front is plated. Cowl hood to help cool it and any clearance issues, and probably a heavier duty crossmember as well. I wouldn't forget putting discs in the rear too to help stop the thing.

The 318 is a dog, but then the 360 isn't anything spectacular either. I'd swap a SBC in before wasting time and money with either the 5.2 or the 5.9. Not too mention parts/bolt-on's are much cheaper.

stroker, easier, you get to go internal on the motor which is a fun afternoon, and you can make more power and torque than a 318 or stock 350(except LSx). You can keep the aw4 or ax15, and your tcase. The wiring harness stays the same, so that way all your gauges will still work. The cost of a completed vehicle with a running stroker is less than half of what a v8 swap will cost you just to get running, not counting trouble shooting gauges and exhaust and cooling later on.

This comes up about once a week. I looked into both options when I blew the motor in my trail rig. It comes down to time and money. Strokers are quick, easy, and about as much as a reman motor will be, total cost. Mine ran to $1600 running. If I had the money and time, and this may be what goes into my MJ street truck down the road, I would go with a LSx/t56 combo. For a 4x4 you would want maybe a munci 4 speed or a nv4500 backed up to a 383 or so.

if you are on a budget - stroker, cheaper, easier, same/more power than most stock v8's.

Back