• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Affordable aftermarket cross memeber for 242 TC?

Red97XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Looking for recomendations for a complete cross member/TC skid that will fit a 242TC. I trashed my stock cross member on some rocks.

Thanks in advance for your help and input. I know how to search, but looking for other XJ owners input.

I bought the T&T HD crossmember, I think it was $160 shipped. Here's a pic of the thing with the stock tcase skid over a 242.

Crossmember_and_Tcase_Skids.jpg

Edit: I am just waking up... the AW4 is the 242, right?

AW4: 4 spd auto tranny
242: full time capable transfer case

:wave:

I've got a Rusty's crossmember fro a 97-01 XJ with a 242 that incorporates a 1" t-case drop. Not sure about what skids it might interface with though. I'll let it go cheap since it's just taking up space in the garage. PM me for details.

from T&T site, "For Jeep XJ & MJ (AW4/AX15 only)"

They require the AW4 or AX15 transmissions because that is what the crossmember bolts to. I called before I ordered to confirm that it would not interfere with the 242 transfer case, and as you can see it does not. However I do not know if any of the aftermarket TC skids will work with this crossmember, since it is 1" higher than stock.

I've got a Rusty's crossmember fro a 97-01 XJ with a 242 that incorporates a 1" t-case drop. Not sure about what skids it might interface with though. I'll let it go cheap since it's just taking up space in the garage. PM me for details.

This is not the t-case skid he is looking for, however Rusty's also sells a t-case skid specially for the 242 for about $100.

This is not the t-case skid he is looking for, however Rusty's also sells a t-case skid specially for the 242 for about $100.

I am looking for a new cross member... this won't work? The next question of course is if my warn TC skid will work with a rusty's crossmember.

Thanks

I am looking for a new cross member... this won't work? The next question of course is if my warn TC skid will work with a rusty's crossmember.

Thanks

Yes, this x-member should work---I have it on my 89 with a 242. I was just pointing out it did not cover the t-case. The 242 hangs lower than the 231, so not all t-case skids will work. Rusty's is the only place I have seen a t-case skid that is manufactured specifically for the 242.

I know alot of people don't like Rusty's, but I have both the x-member and the engine/tranny skid and plan to add the t-case and gas tank skids as soon as funds allow.

Back