• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

junkyard swap extended track bar

sharq

NAXJA Forum User
im very low on cash these days and have been putting off buying an adjustable track bar for some time now. ive read most of the continuing junkyard upgrade thread and many others. it occurred to me today that ive never heard of a track bar from another vehicle that has been used as an upgrade because it is longer.

an ideas on some possible donor vehicles? for sure there is something out there on a solid axle vehicle that is longer.

Get a 10" piece of DOM and sleeve the stock one. Only red neck fix I know thats actually cheap and worth doing.

why would you waste the money on DOM for such a half assed yet doomed to fail attempt at a fix?

The trackbar is a place you should not skimp.

why would you waste the money on DOM for such a half assed yet doomed to fail attempt at a fix?

The trackbar is a place you should not skimp.

why would it be doomed to fail? if you can weld worth damn i dont see a problem.
anyway thats not the question...

The cheapest trackbar fix that I have come across is to drill a new mounting hole in the axle side bracket about an inch or so over from the stock hole. It's mostly an option in the 3.5-4.5" lift range and does nothing to improve articulation, but it does re-center the axle for free.

why would it be doomed to fail? if you can weld worth damn i dont see a problem.

Because a track bar with a ball-joint at the frame end is a dumb idea period. Has very limited articulation.

If you're going to spend any time/money on it, just build/buy a mount for double-shear with a johnny joint, heim or whatever and go from there.

Exactly as Mopar said, the TRE at the top of the trackbar does not have the range of motion required for a higher lift. You'll have it maxed out at ride height, it will bind on passenger side droop and eventually break.

XJ owners, as a whole, are incredibly cheap. If you could modify the OEM trackbar for $20 to be more than enough, we wouldnt all spend the cash on an upgrade.

No.

If you're going to upgrade the end, upgrade the bar. I really like my RE XD.

$.02

Robert

Could you cut the TRE end off the stock bar and put a johnny joint on? Then modify the tracbar mount so its double shear

Why would you spend $60 on a johnny joint and $25 on a mount, and then leave a weak ass stock trackbar attached to it? $30 more gets you a good complete setup.

Back