• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission mount

Dustin_Z

NAXJA Forum User
First off, I did search for an answer and couldn't find one.

I have a problem with my XJ. The fan keeps hitting the radiator and causing leaks.

Heres the low down on the Jeep:

1997 XJ, 4.0, auto, 4wd.

5.5" RE Lift
Hack-n-tap SYE
MORE bomb proof engine mounts
York air compressor (moved fan forward 1/4"to clear compressor)

I never had problems with contact until recently. After consulting other XJ owners I am believing that my trans mount may be toast. Am I close? If so, how hard is it to change this? I've never done a trans mount, but am very good with mechanical item.

Has anyone else had this problem? any advice? Would dual XJ electric fans work as Taurus fans are 1: Too thick, 2: Too tall (already tried this swap, gave up when I had to grind off chunks of the engine accessory bracketry.)

Thanks! The jeep is a trail toy for me, and occasional DD. Vibes don't bother me so long as I don't continue to eat radiators. You look so uncool in a big Jeep with steam rolling out from under the hood.....then getting towed home by a Sami!

If you have the skills to shoe horn a York compressor into a XJs engine bay replacing the transmission mounts should be a snap.

I don't think your problem is the transmission mount unless it's flopping around so hard you can hear it.

It could be bad but I really don't think that's the problem.

Tell me now. Have you or a previous owner replaced the fan clutch?

Does the replacement clutch have four tabs on the front that stick out?

If you answered yes grind those off. It's a bad design that has trashed a few radiators in its day.

I have not replaces the fan clutch, a previous owner probably has as the XJ has 144K on it. I don't seem to remember 4 tabs sticking out, just a bimetallic coil on the front of the fan that sat flush with the surrounding metal.

There seems to be no noticable flopping. I will be putting it up against a tree (to keep it from moving) and then gently throttling up in forward and reverse to see if I am having abnormal engine movement. All these problems began shortly after I get rear ended (was towing a boat, I was stopped, the other guy was doing about 35). I am thinking I may have broken something in the wreck and not realized it.

I love my XJ, but my wife wants me to sell it, and with constant cooling system problems it makes it a hard sell to keep it.

I just did the tree trick. As soon as the engine slightly revs up (still under 1K rpm) the rear of the engine lifts up allowing the fan to hit the radiator. I just bought a trans mount and will install in the morning. I'll post up the results. Who knows, I may know of an XJ for sale that keeps eating radiators!:eek:

Back