• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

skid plate ideas

BigRedMachine

NAXJA Forum User
I need to build a good skid plate. I have a piece 1/4 checkered plate and I want to use it for my skid plate. I want to get rid of the factory crossmember and I would like to put the trans mount on the 1/4" skid plate. Can you guys give me some suggestions.
p.s. I was thinking about cutting the crossmember in half and welding the top half to the top of the skid.:dunno:

Why not just leave the crossmember, and add your plate to the bottom of it?

Seems easier and stronger...

:dunno:

Robert

he might need to step on it should the jeep rollover, and he'll want lots of traction

Get a long rope ladder. Place large hooks on the ends to hang from the door or cage, rails etc. This will make it much easier to get out of trees, power lines or whatever you land on. Much better then step/skid plates. :)

I planned on useing the smooth side down. it is just some steel I have laying arround.
I probably will just combine it to the crossmember. I was just orver thinking.

I like the idea of separating the stock member and plating the bottom.

Another idea is to just cut a template to fit the existing one, with overlapping lips on the front and rear, then weld the lips to the pinch seams. That would help you skip over stuff instead of ramming right into it.

Back