• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aussie Locker - Street manors on snow and ice

turpehar

NAXJA Forum User
The first day they were available I ordered an Aussie locker for one of my XJ's, for the 8.25 with 29 spline axles. My question is if driving on snow and ice will be a bit more risky than with the factory open diff? There is no locker in the front. I understand how limited slip acts on icy conditions, but just wondering if the Aussie will act the same?

The kit was delivered today, so I had some explaining to do with my woman,,,,
nono.gif

tell her its to make it safer when it gets Icy, you love her and dont want her hurt

That should work :D

From what I've read / heard, etc -
with an open rear, one tire might break loose and spin but the rear end might not slide around on you because one wheel is sitting there, keeping things in place. You are stuck but at least it isn't going sideways on you.
With an auto locker and even an lsd you might run into problems if you are revving / spinning hard when it locks or tightens: instead of one wheel with no traction, spinning and floatin' on the snow, now youv'e got the entire rear end floating there and prone to going sideways.
That being said - I plan to aussie my rear as soon as I can. I'm running open diffs front and rear and the back end of my jeep is unmanageable if I'm not in 4wd - thats right, it is already snowy in Park City. With gentle throttle it should lock up and do what it is meant to do - keep the car moving instead of spinning.

Be aware though - if you gas it hard and it locks, that axle is losing traction on both sides. If you are gentle, it should help.

The rear is no big deal at all, its easy to get sideways and play but its also very controllable. I had no problem driving mine in wet ice(SLICK!) two years ago. I have since locked the front as well but it didn't ice or snow here last winter lol. I am curious to see how it does.

You didn't say much about your vehicle, or search much ;) this has been covered a lot in the recent past.

The basics are:
An Aussie Locker in coast mode, no power, ratchets the slower axle.

When you apply power, the locker locks up and makes the axle a live axle with no differential action.

So, when you turn a tight corner on the street, you learn to let off the gas to allow the locker to go into coast mode, otherwise your Jeep bucks.

Straight line operation is unaffected, with one proviso. If you have an Automatic, the transmission will provide a fairly smooth transition between gears and the locker remains engaged. With a Manual however, the delay between gears acts to unlock the locker, and reapplication of power reengages it. SO, if you act like a maniac with the stick and pedal operation, your Jeep will torque steer. In short, you will learn to drive better because the locker will act up if you do not.

Locking both ends gets you though snow OK, but sucks on ice because the front will understeer when power is applied. Torque steer affect is doubled because there are now two lockers unlocking and locking between shifts.

You didn't say much about your vehicle, or search much ;) this has been covered a lot in the recent past.

I did search, and on several forums. Lots of talk about performance but did not find anything specific. Next time (because I'm a smarty pants) I ask you for the search criteria.:peace:

I said it was an 8.25 with 29 spline, what else matters?

I have an aussie in the D44 rear of my 99 (5 speed) -- I actually like it in snow, but it can be a bit spooky on ice until you get used to it. Aussie's are hell-stout manufactured, and perform really well off road. That said, they are seriously LOUD when ratcheting on the street, and pretty clunky, tending to load/unload at peculiar times (i.e coming out of corners, hard accelleration, etc.). Those same characteristics make it important that the driver be (1) attentive, and (2) familiar with the operation of the locker and used to its quirks when driving on ice. I DD mine, and while I would prefer a smoother operating locker on road (and likely will go either Detroit no-slip or selectable next time around), I don't mind my noisy little aussie.

I DD mine and drive to my Cabin for skiing every weekend in the winter. Ive got Aussies F/R and a 5spd, Best advice i can give is just drive a little slower and get used to it. It was different the first time, then I got used to it. If you get a feel for it and stay off the gas(should be doing this anyway for the snow) you'll be fine. The Jeep does hop a little when shifting in the snow.

I drove my 90 (AX15) with an aussie in there rear in the snow and it's a little sketchy going around corners but on a snow covered road it's unbeatable - one tire loses traction but doesn't spin up which causes your truck to not do anything strange when it hooks back up.

This year my 98 (AW4) has aussies front and rear so we'll see how she goes now.. The auto is definitely more forgiving when driving slow in traction areas.. very little if no bucking action.

I have an aussie in the D44 rear of my 99 (5 speed) -- I actually like it in snow, but it can be a bit spooky on ice until you get used to it. Aussie's are hell-stout manufactured, and perform really well off road. That said, they are seriously LOUD when ratcheting on the street, and pretty clunky, tending to load/unload at peculiar times (i.e coming out of corners, hard accelleration, etc.). Those same characteristics make it important that the driver be (1) attentive, and (2) familiar with the operation of the locker and used to its quirks when driving on ice. I DD mine, and while I would prefer a smoother operating locker on road (and likely will go either Detroit no-slip or selectable next time around), I don't mind my noisy little aussie.

Mind giving me the basic difference between the Aussie and the Detroit? Other then a lot of money...

Mind giving me the basic difference between the Aussie and the Detroit? Other then a lot of money...

lunchbox vs full carrier locker use those terms for your search. :patriot:

Yeah, while full-case lockers also take some getting used to on snow and ice, they typically don't have the chattering, bucking or sudden loading characteristics that lunchbox-style lockers like the aussie do -- the detroit no-slip is the cream of the crop as far as full-time lockers go.

Yeah, while full-case lockers also take some getting used to on snow and ice, they typically don't have the chattering, bucking or sudden loading characteristics that lunchbox-style lockers like the aussie do -- the detroit no-slip is the cream of the crop as far as full-time lockers go.

So the detroit never unlocks? why not just run a spool then? I'd rather have something that will give if required instead of something that will just blow axleshafts.

so i assume if youre going to be doing a lot of road driving and snow driving, you would suggest aussie in the back, selectable in the front?

That's what I would suggest, yes!

So the detroit never unlocks? why not just run a spool then? I'd rather have something that will give if required instead of something that will just blow axleshafts.

No, the Detroit unlocks. It's an automatic locker like the Aussie but is a full case replacement rather than replacing the side and spider gears of the open case which you reuse in the "lunch box" locker scenario. The Aussie Locker, the (Powertrax) Lock Right, and the (Powertrax) No-Slip are all versions of automatically engaging "lunch box" lockers that activate when you apply torque via the gas pedal, and unlock when sufficient ground forces are present in a turning situation. They stay locked if you're turning and they don't have enough traction, however, so even letting off the gas may not be enough if it's slick enough outside and you're in 4wd.

That said, my experience is with an Aussie-locked rear only. I just had it out over Thanksgiving in central PA where there was 4" of snow in the hills. Since hunting season was about to start, there was a lot of traffic on the back roads and the road surface was hard packed snow and ice with a huge steep dropoff on one side of the forwest service road I was on. In 2wd it handled pretty well and in 4wd, not going crazy on the gas, I had no issues whatsoever on the roads. I'm running minimal BFG AT's in 235/75-15 with good tread. Based on this experience, I'm very confident of the ability on the paved road. One thing I noted was that it was much easier to gain speed than to lose it, though. Much more control over acceleration than braking. My drums may need to be readjusted. . .

Put it in the front and don't drive like an ass-tard and you'll be fine.

They stay locked if you're turning and they don't have enough traction, however, so even letting off the gas may not be enough if it's slick enough outside and you're in 4wd.

That said, my experience is with an Aussie-locked rear only. I just had it out over Thanksgiving in central PA where there was 4" of snow in the hills. Since hunting season was about to start, there was a lot of traffic on the back roads and the road surface was hard packed snow and ice with a huge steep dropoff on one side of the forwest service road I was on. In 2wd it handled pretty well and in 4wd, not going crazy on the gas, I had no issues whatsoever on the roads. I'm running minimal BFG AT's in 235/75-15 with good tread. Based on this experience, I'm very confident of the ability on the paved road. One thing I noted was that it was much easier to gain speed than to lose it, though. Much more control over acceleration than braking. My drums may need to be readjusted. . .

Ahh yeah I figured the detroit unlocked as well. Does it unlock better or something? no click? smoother? What is the benefit, really?

My aussies come with an 'unlimited tire size warranty', and that's quite the statement when it comes to a 'cheap' locker.

I don't have experience with the dual lockers in the snow yet, I just had the rear last year. I agree with the slowdown/speed up statement 100% - the locked axle drives straight much better, you can be doing 80mph on the highway and hit a patch of snow with one tire and you don't even notice it because the traction on the other tire keeps the 'snowed in' tire from spinning up. Going around corners is a little sketchy because as you said, it wont unlock unless there is sufficient traction on both tires... but it's manageable.

As for braking, when you step on the brakes the locked rear end is more likely to lock up because if ONE side locks, the other locks too and you have effectively no lateral traction on your rear end.. fishtail city.

Back