• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire question

Matthew Currie

NAXJA Member #760
Probably could search for this, but I'm feeling hurried and lazy tonight.

Jeep needs new tires for winter. Local dealer recommends Bridgestone/Firestone "Winterforce." Any opinions?

My last set of Coopers (snow tread) was rather disappointing - constant balance woes, and not very good on the wet.

toyo's make some pretty decent AT's

Well, I asked around, and although every dealer in the vicinity seems to be pushing the Firestones, one said he's stopped selling them due to failures. It seems there's insufficient thickness beneath the studs, and he's had to plug them often when the studs break through. Doesn't speak too well for the general quality. Anyway, not too many brand choices around from local dealers with the competence to balance them right on the first try, so I ended up ordering a set of Nokians, some newfangled snow variant of the Vaativa, which I've had before and liked.

General Grabber AT2's. Very similar to BFG AT's, more sipes & a little more aggresive. IMO they rule in snow/slush (winter). Real good in the piney sand/sandy mud here in South Jersey. My 30" were only $85 each.

Last edited:
for winter season you cannot beat the blizzak. they have done tests on ice rinks. blizzaks vs. studded tires. blizzaks out perform the studded tires. however if you run them in the summer time they will burn off very quickly. ask me how? i work at a firestone in portland...

There don't seem to be any BFG dealers around here. There really aren't that many places to go with decent prices and competent service.* I had BFG AT's on my old 87, and they were pretty decent on snow, but not great. What I did like about them was that they lasted about 70 thousand miles.

*by which I mean that I prefer not to go to places that balance your wheels with the mud still caked in the rims, or that hammer the lugs on so tight that you break your wrench trying to get one off.

Not that they know what they are doing, but Walmart here carries BFG At's. I think the largest size they carry is a 31, but they may be able to order other sizes.

If not too late, and for others shopping for winter tires, I found some interesting info in our local (Quebec) consumer protection magazine. They evaluated different tires for this winter because in this province, it will be mandatory for “normal” vehicles to be equipped with winter tires: new Quebec law, as of December 15.

Best choice for touring tire:
Bridgestone Blizzak WS 60
Toyo Observe G-02 Plus
Yokohama Ice Guard IG20

Best choice for performance tire:
Toyo Observe Garit KX

Best choice for SUV:
Bridgestone Blizzak DM-Z3
Toyo Open Country G-02 Plus
Yokohama Geolandar I/T G072

Nokian Hakkapeliitta Sport Utility 5 (studded) scored well but the price eliminated them from their top picks. They also evaluated many other brands/types but I just summarized their selection.
Personally, I used many snow, 4-season & A/T tires and I highly recommend Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo.

BFG A/Ts or Bridgestone Dueler Revo's not too bad of a price on either. Also check out www.treadwright.com. They are re-treads but their quality is next to none. They are cheap and shipping is reasonable. I highly suggest them , I have a set on my jeep:D

Back