• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44

Starboard M

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I have a rear Dana 44 with the Superior Super 44 33 spline upgrade.

I want to get a set of shafts for spares, and was going to go with Alloy USA, however they have recently closed their doors.

I have heard bad things about Superior keeping their side of their warranty when things broke, so I was hoping to go with someone else.

Do I have any other options other then Superior?

Anyone have a vendor they get their shafts from? I have gotten parts from Machinewave on Pirate in the past, but he is being unresponsive.

I've always heard good things about Superior, but with Alloy USA out of business, Yukon, or Dutchman, may be options.

I seem to recall Jes, BC and maybe Letterman having issues with Superior, which is why Im rather hesitant to go with them.

Yukon is junk, so I would steer away from them. Dutchman I dont know anything about, but Im not sure they offer the 33 spline setup. I guess they could do custom though.

Matt -
I now run Moser shafts in my rear axle... they've worked great holding the rear end of the jeep up while its on jack stands...

I'd call Moser - they make 33 spline junk all day long for the drag race guys, and should be able to figure out what you need...

I don't know how much of a warranty concern is, but I know that 66CJDean over at performance cryogenics (http://www.performancecryogenics.com/) can and does make shafts - might give him a call... I dont know what his waranty situation is though...

I'm sad to hear that machinewave isn't calling you back - I've always been happy when dealing with him...

ALLOY USA went out of buisness? their website doesnt say anything.

Not entirely yet as I understand it, just major issues.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/pr/index.php?action=fullnews&id=441
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=724873

It'll be interesting to see what happens. I've got all the Alloy USA/Precision Gear stuff for my D60s and was just about to get a set of front shafts. I'm stuck with the gears (which I'm sure will be fine anyway), but I'm gonna hold off on the shafts for awhile.

What?! When did this happen?

What?! When did this happen?

Not to get to far off topic, but it has been on going it seems. Read the links above.

As far as D44 33spline shafts, I'd call Dutchman. That's probably where my D60 shafts will come from when I order 'em.

Matt -
I now run Moser shafts in my rear axle... they've worked great holding the rear end of the jeep up while its on jack stands...

I'd call Moser - they make 33 spline junk all day long for the drag race guys, and should be able to figure out what you need...

I don't know how much of a warranty concern is, but I know that 66CJDean over at performance cryogenics (http://www.performancecryogenics.com/) can and does make shafts - might give him a call... I dont know what his waranty situation is though...

I'm sad to hear that machinewave isn't calling you back - I've always been happy when dealing with him...

Considering these will be spare shafts, and I never wheel, I dont think much strain will be put on them.

Do I call Moser directly, or do I have to go through a dealer? Think they will have the bearings and retaining plate for the XJ D44s?

I'd call moser and start there. Maybe spec out everything that you'll need with the tech on the phone, and get that all squared away...

remember that the TJ backing plates are different than the XJ backing plates... :dunce:

I'd call moser and start there. Maybe spec out everything that you'll need with the tech on the phone, and get that all squared away...

remember that the TJ backing plates are different than the XJ backing plates... :dunce:

they are: TJ Rubicon vs XJ:
2852684188_dd067e1a54.jpg

Ive been on and off the phone with the techs at Moser, and they have no specs for any Dana 44 that came in Cherokees. I do not know what year my axle came out of, but the general consensus on NAXJA was that they came in 87-88ish XJs.

The tech seemed to think that the 44 was not a stock unit and it had been swapped in.

I know the TJ 44s are similar, is it a dirrect swap? I remember seeing something about the TJs are slightly offset, which the tech backed up with a .50'' difference in axle lengths.

Does anyone know the axle shaft length for a stock XJ 44, or know what the difference between XJ and TJ axles are?

TJ and XJ 44's use the exact same shafts.

And yes, you were right, only stock in 87-89 (or 90) with the tow package.

I think the lengths are 29.25 and 29.5, but they will be the exact same as TJ44 dimensions.

Back