• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tie Rod End Upgrade

StaleAle

NAXJA Forum User
..... I tried a search but I could not find my answer so here goes........ I have the Rusty's HD Tie Rod and I am wanting to change the TRE's Is there a better upgrade to go with? As far as converting to something else what would my options be. I really like the Tie Rod a lot but the ends kinda suck.

On a side note I was checking out Bryans (RWKXJ) Jeep the other day and he did a sweet steering knuckle conversion from a WJ and used 1 ton TRE's..... Is it possible to do just the 1 tons?

I know nothing about TRE's obviously so thanks in advance for any :helpme:

Hey Mike...I'm VET8911 on this board, dont know why I chose a different handle for the local board, but anyway...
Since the chevy TRE's have a longer shank on them you might be able to cut the end off your Rusty's trackbar and weld on one of those threaded inserts for the chevy ends...and ream the drivers side knuckle from the top, but that would only take care of one of your TRE's. If you want to stick with the stock knuckles you may have to do something like JCR's "one ton" steering otherwise you will still be stuck with the stock stuff on the draglink. IF you want to do the WJ swap, get the parts and I will certainly help you. It is pretty nice...
Bryan

Thanks Bryan! Ever since I checked out your steering setup I have been wanting to do mine. I am thinking about getting the WJ stuff and I will shoot you an e-mail with a couple questions I had. Thanks for the help.

Michael

I talked to Jason from jeepinoutfitters.com and he said he's never seen anyone break an XJ tie rod end with a beefed up tie rod. That's why I just ordered a TnT tie rod instead of going with the whole ZJ V8 replacement.

Back