• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

over head console in a Cherokee

xj_dummy

NAXJA Forum User
My 1990 has an overhead console with a digital compass and I would like to install one in my MJ. Does the compass hook up to something else or does it work by itself? In other words, if I were to get one and install it into my MJ and hook up power to it would the compass automatically work?

Search this forum, there should be many install write ups. but for a quick answer, when i put a console in my 92, it was the console, wires from the console to the passenger side a-pillar to just under the passenger side dash bottom, then a plug in wire from under the coolant overflow bottle to the center behind the front bumper to a temp sensor. the 91-92 MJ should be the same, before that more or less wiring may be needed. just head to a junkyard and grab all these items including the mounting brackets for the roof. Hope this helps some... Todd

The compass is on the circuit board in the console. The temp sender is behind the front bumper.

bumper1.jpg

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Just about any '90's Chrysler temp sensor will work. The easiest target is a minivan, and the yards are crawlin' with 'em. I've put in three of them, and sometimes minivan 'head unit' is comparable. All I need now is to figure out how to get the MPG info that I know is available in the '96+ rigs.......

Back