• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Beefing up my 95 XJ for crawling

tgregg

NAXJA Member #1444
I'm joining a local Four Wheeling club and want to be able to stay up on trails without making the Cherokee unusable for street use. Because I'm a Realtor I use the XJ sometimes to take clients out. Since we are rural with lots of rough dirt roads some small lift might be OK. I think the rear axle is an 8.25 but I don't know gear ratio or if it has positraction. I have the original window sticker but it just lists Command Trac Part Time Shift on the fly; P225/75 R15 All Terrain tires; front and rear stabilizer bars. AW-4 a/t. I have added rear class 3 hitch reciever and tow hooks on the front.
I'm sure there are lots of opinions out there and I'd appreciate yours. I live in the Southern California Desert so mud is not an issue, just lots of sand and rocks!
Thanks for suggestions,
Gregg

You probably have 3.55 gears. For mild wheeling 2"/3" lift & 31" all terrain tires with a locker or lsd in the back. The sky's the limit, once you get started it's hard to stop though. Just my opinion.

Go with a Rubicon Express 3.5" Superflex lift, costs around $500 w/ shocks. Gives you enough room to fit 31's, possibly 32's, without trimming your fenders. It will make your on road ride much better than stock and give you a huge increase in off-road ability. Put a locker in the front or rear and you'll be good to go for most areas. Of course, rock crawling requires lots of flex, but if you want it for daily driving and to be presentable to clients, I assume you won't want to cut your fenders.

Get some nice 31" Mud Terrains and you XJ will look great with this lift and be pretty darn capable!

I have this lift with cut fenders and 33's. I love it!

Back